Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

Gabriel was fed up with everything. His mate, the demons, his exile to the human realm. Today, it seemed harder to swallow than before. He wasn’t certain why; they were making progress on every front. He knew what souls the demons were after, and his death dealers were equipped with the soul compasses. His mate was allegedly no longer dying of a tumor, even if he couldn’t figure out what secrets she hid, and his newfound independence left him wary of the Immortal Laws but no longer enslaved by them.

The longer he thought, the more he realized his frustration had nothing to do with his duties as Death. It had to do with a certain mate. With not trusting her but wanting to without understanding why. Andre confirmed that her tumor was gone, which meant they had a chance at a healthy relationship. Gabriel could move forward, try to win over the woman who seemed much more interested in him than she had a few days ago, before her deal with the Dark One.

Did her secret really matter? It wasn’t possible that it could affect their life together. Nothing could, at this point.

“Darkyn,” he summoned the Dark One, determined to uncover what he could.

Tomorrow. The response was instant.

Gabriel rolled his eyes. What was so important that the Dark One ignored a summons?

He tapped the lectern on which the Oracle was busy writing in her book. The heavy Caribbean air of the Sanctuary was warm and fragrant with the scent of the sea. Pushing himself away from the book that would reveal nothing he sought, he went to the small, square window overlooking the stone structure of the Sanctuary.

“If Daniela finds you here, she’ll flip out,” he said without turning.

“Shit. There’s nothing she can do to make my day worse.”

“She could poison your tea.”

“Gods, I hope she does.”

Gabe smiled, glancing over his shoulder at the frustrated half-demon. Rhyn looked angry, his air crackling with agitation. His dark hair was pulled back at the nape of his neck. He wore jeans and a snug t-shirt that outlined his muscular frame. He was armed with several knives, and his silver eyes were fiery.

“You really aren’t supposed to be here,” Gabriel chided, knowing it was useless. His friend was well aware he got a pass at just about every rule he broke.

“Hey, you wanna spar?”

“What’s up?” Gabriel faced his friend, entertained at Rhyn’s apparent restlessness. “You act like you’ve been shut out of your underworld or your mate made a deal with Darkyn and turned into someone else. You upset about Erik?”

“Shit no.” Rhyn flashed a grin. “Ever have like a secret you can’t tell your best friend but you really, really want to?”

“Yeah.”

“What is it?”

“I don’t have one now. It was about Katie, when she was in the underworld and you didn’t know she was alive,” Gabriel clarified.

Rhyn stared at him then began to laugh.

Gabriel eyed him, unaware of what the half-demon found funny about the major event preceding his takeover as Death. Rhyn stopped after a minute of belly laughs.

“Alright. You made my day,” he said. “Where’s this poisoned tea?”

“Something going on?” Gabriel asked, perplexed.

“For once, I think Kiki is right. I need to be discreet. Besides, we’re even now.”

“I don’t want to know.” Gabriel shook his head. “I feel like I’m winning my battles but losing the war.”