Chapter Four

As they left the building, Saga held Buddy's service harness with her right hand.

"Would you care to take my arm?" Loki asked.

"Buddy knows the way."

"I suspected as much. I was asking because I would rather like a beautiful woman on my arm."

"Okay, as long as you don't mind being led by a dog and a blind woman."

He took her left hand and placed it on his elbow but a slight tug made his pause. He turned to look at her and she had her face turned toward the sky, her eyes closed and a slight smile on her lips and as a breeze ruffled her hair, he couldn't help but think that she looked magnificent.

"Okay," she opened her eyes and slipped a pair of dark sunglasses on. "Let's go."

The dog began to lead them and Loki enjoyed looking around him. He hadn't seen the city from street level the first time he visited.

It was interesting, actually, seeing the hustle and bustle of daily life.

"How far is this place?"

"Just a few blocks."

"Wouldn't it be easier to take one of those yellow hire vehicles?"

"You mean a cab?"

"Yes."

"I like getting out in the fresh air."

"What if you get lost?"

"Tony programmed Buddy so he won't take me more than five blocks away," she said sadly. "It's hard to get lost in a five block radius. I could take a cab further but I'd be completely on my own at the other end. I'm not brave enough for that yet."

"Can you not overwrite Buddy's programming?"

"I could," she huffed. "But I need a USB connection to get into the programming and Tony hid the port so well, I can't find it."

"And he wouldn't tell you if you asked?"

"I have asked. He says it's for my own good, so I don't do anything silly."

"Such as?"

"Move out."

"So instead they infantilise you," he concluded.

"Exactly. I've only made this walk alone twice before now and if I'm even five minutes late, they call me and when I ignore their calls because I'm too old to be told what I can and can't do, they come an find me. Buddy has a tracking device."

"If you wish, I can accompany you further afield, just as a precaution while you regain your confidence."

"Really? You'd do that for me?" she stopped and turned to him.

"I don't exactly have a lot else occupying me at the moment."

"Thank you." She smiled and as they walked on, she slipped her whole arm through his. "You know there used to be a park not far away that I liked to sit in and have lunch, do you fancy that afterwards?"

"Sounds delightful."

Buddy led them to a nail salon and wagged his tail as the receptionist and the free technicians made a fuss of him.

"Diane?" Saga asked.

"Right here Honey, how you been?" a large lady answered, breaking away from the crowd.

"I'm great," she smiled. "This is my friend, uh, Loki, I was wondering if you could fit him in while you do me?"

Loki had assured her that his appearance was disguised and no one would recognise him.