Chapter 5: Chocolate

Noah’s POV

She was so strong that even with the three of us, she was winning the fight. I decided to pull back for a while so that I could heal and then use this as an advantage.

Kieran was on full attack now, and Helena placed herself between Chloe and him to protect her. He gave Helena some hard blows on her upper arm in an attempt to shove her away. Darien growled and tried to stop Kieran, but got shoved aside. Them turning on one another gave Chloe enough space to catch her breath and when Kieran turned his attention to her again she repaid him by snapping his leg with a mind blowing kick.

Darien and Helena stood looking shocked before Darien tried to attack again, this time trying to restrain her, but Chloe caught his arm and dislocated it.

Helena stood there gaping, as she obviously didn’t know what to do. She was torn between her loyalty to Chloe and not wanting to see us hurt.

Chloe turned to me and made a desperate attempt for my neck.

Hell no!

I kicked her away and attacked her relentlessly with blow after blow that she had to block. After a while she seemed to tire. Her responses became much slower and her attacks lost their strength.

I finished the fight with a kick to her head. She seemed knocked out and I caught her in my arms.

Her skin slowly turned silver and the spirit left her with a piercing scream.

I sighed in relief. She turned back to her less dangerous human form.

…Boy, how I was wrong.

I scooped her up and walked to the car, but before I could reach it Chloe started to emit light and I felt her slowly moving upwards out of my arms.

I let go and she levitated high up in the air. She began to do a slow spin. She was radiating white light and a pulsing pain started in my head.

“Run!!! You triggered her self-defence mechanism. Run!!!” Helena yelled.

We didn’t make it to the car.

As Chloe’s spin accelerated, the pain in my head developed into a blinding sting and I felt the blood running from my ears and nose.

Helena was screaming and the guys were swearing.

Chloe emitted a flash of stronger light and Helena sank to the ground unconsciously. Darien and Kieran were clutching their heads in their hands whilst assuming the foetus position. I tried to stay upright, but the pain was too severe. I landed on my knees in the dust, clutching my head.

Chloe stopped turning, faced us, growled and then exploded in a blinding light.

Everything went black.

Chloe’s POV

My toes touched the ground and I came to. What happened?

Last thing I remembered was being knocked out. Ugh, everything hurt.

Dravec swirled around me. Hey, why did you go out?

I looked around and saw the vampires lying on the ground. Not moving.

Sh*t!!!

Not again. I walked over to Helena and sat down next to her.

Please, don’t be dead. Please, don’t be dead. Please, don’t be dead.

How on Earth do you check whether a vampire is still alive?

No pulse, no breathing. But that’s normal.