Chapter 14: Demon reapers are real assholes

Anya wiped away the tears as she stared at herself in the bathroom mirror. She had missed a splotch of mud and angrily wiped it off. She could feel the urge to break into a round of tears but refused to; she wouldn't let them get to her.

So what if they threw her and her backpack in the mud. So what if they stole her homework and assignments and now she had nothing to turn in. So what if she was going to spend the day in mud covered clothes. So what if David and Mark were suddenly being so cruel.

None of it mattered. They were just bullies trying to get a reaction, at least that what all those mandatory school seminars said.

Anya straightened her shoulders and forced a smile onto her face. She would get through this day, everything would be fine. Those boys were probably dealing with their own problems and that was why they were mean to her. That was what her mother always said.

Besides, they didn't know her. None of them shared any classes with her, being a whole two years older. It should be easy enough to stay out of there way and let the whole situation blow over. They'd grow bored bullying her. Every would be fine.

Feeling better Anya splashed her face once more with cool water before grabbing her bag. She had cleaned it as much as she could but the once purple bag was now greyed and brown. It would wash out, everything was fine.

Anya made her way out of the bathroom. She was late for her next class and panic bubbled in her throat. She hated being late, it made her feel guilty and ashamed, and everybody would look at her. She hurriedly speed walked down the hallway, trying to go to class. It was as she was turning the corner that she ran into a girl. It was like hitting a brick wall and even with her werewolf reflexes Anya still collided with the floor.

"Oh, I'm so sorry," a sweet, musical voice said. Anya looked up and froze at seeing Mary.

She couldn't remember her last name, but that one word, Mary, was enough. She was one of those girls that were always in teen movies. She was beautiful, intelligent and everyone knew, and adored her. It wasn't natural how many people knew her, when Anya herself didn't even know more than half the people in her own year.

Yet, Mary had that affect. She was impossible to ignore, easy to envy and gorgeous.

Anya had never spoken a word to her even though they were in the same pack. One way of putting it was that they ran with different crowds, but Anya knew she wasn't cool enough to even stand in the shadows of Mary. So she stayed out of her way, and was happy to do it. Besides, Anya sometimes got a strange feeling of this girl, one that made her wolf whimper and her shy away. Bumping into her could mean a social suicide. Could this day get any worse?

"It was my fault," Anya said hurriedly as she tried to stand, only for all her books to tumble out of her bag that she had forgotten to zip up. Mumbling a curse word in her head Anya bent down and scrambled to push the books in the bag.

Mary bent down beside her, tossing a mane of golden curls of her shoulder and giving Anya a dazzling smile, helping shuffle loose paper and put books in her bag. Maybe this day wouldn't be so bad. Maybe everything would be fine.

"Thank you," Anya said with a smile on her face. That simple act of kindness was enough to make her feel better.

Mary looked into Anya's eyes and she was struck by how green they were. Her own eyes were green but were muted by flickers of brown and darker green. Mary's were unnaturally green, like emeralds. Mary's pink lips pulled into a smile, "It was my pleasure, really."