Chapter 1

Reagan sat, her legs Indian style and her hands on her knees, near the window seat of her plane. Her eyes were glued to her laptop as she watched over a news article about Paris history for her journalism class.

"Hey...Reagan?" A girl about the age of eighteen poked Reagan in the ribs.

Reagan paused the video and pulled out her ear-buds. "What, Andrea?" She asked impatiently.

Andrea pointed to her laptop that had a notepad document pulled up on it with a long paragraph. "Do you suppose this is long enough for the class. You know how Mr. Bennett is. 'It's not a paragraph unless you can take up the entire page with one solid thought.'" She rolled her eyes and slouched in her chair a bit.

Reagan shrugged and put her ear-buds back in. "Andrea, as long as you make him think it takes up the entire page, then you should be fine. Just fudge with the font size a bit. I'm sure he won't notice." She pulled her attention back to her laptop and continued the video.

Andrea shook her head and smirked. "You're always looking for the easy way, Reagan."

Reagan waved Andrea off and put her entire dedication into the video. The subject had changed to the Paris Opera House, or more notably the Opera Populaire.

"The Opera Populaire is one of the many wonders that Pairs has to offer. With its renovated architecture, it is a very exquisite site to visit. The history, surrounded by myths and legends of infamous ghosts, it well known by many. The most famous, Phantom of the Opera, is a well known mystery. Some say that Gaston Lerox book holds many key facts that put this myth of the Phantom to rest, making it a true event while others tend to argue the point of it being factual." The narrator went on to elaborate on the mysteries of the Opera House and the myths surrounding it.

Reagan nearly fell off the edge of her chair, getting submersed in the story line.

"One sign that the infamous Phantom of the Opera may exist is the famous score of 'Don Juan Triumphant' that is held in a glass case on display at the Opera Populaire. Many claim that the music still holds its mysterious spells and charms." The narrator continued.

Reagan squealed in delight, grabbing a pad of notebook paper and the pencil from behind her ear. She quickly scribbled down the name of the score on the slip of paper and tore it from her notebook.

Andrea looked over at Reagan from her laptop. "Why are you so giddy?" She mumbled.

"Shh!" Reagan hushed her and covered her ears to amplify the sound coming from her ear-buds.

The narrator went on. "One can view the score and many other pieces of the ancient Opera House that survived the famous fire in the artifacts museum adjacent to the Opera Populaire..."

Reagan sighed happily and closed her laptop as the video came to an ending. She leaned back in her chair and looked out the window. "What do you think it was like...?" She asked to no one in particular.

"Excuse me?" Andrea asked confused.

"I bet they had marvelous galas and exciting plays. I wish I could have been there!" Reagan took out her ear-buds from her laptop and found her iPod in her book bag. She plugged in her ear-buds and flipped through her play list.

Andrea turned back to her laptop and switched from her notepad to the internet. "Reagan, you're going completely nuts. I think you need to lay off the musical business for a while and focus on....well, other things."

Reagan rolled her eyes. "Oh, I'm sorry I'm not like every other girl who is into boys and drama and all that junk. I'm sorry I'm a 'tom-boy' who'd rather snoop around for a good journalist story than spend my time with some tool who just wants me for a door mat. Remind me again why you think I should be that way?" She crossed her arms in disgust.