Twenty-Five (part 2)-Into darkness

A double update? YUP. I couldn't leave you hanging, so here it is...the last two portions of the book! And then the SEQUEL!  Thank-you for reading and encouraging me to finish the book. HUGS to you ALL.

The smell of burnt rubber and gasoline made me crinkle my nose and hold my breath. Sage coughed and waved her hands in front of her face trying to clear the smoke. I preferred the haze. It wasn't like I wanted to see him.

"Well, you keep some pretty interesting company in the morning," he said leaning on the hood of Kellan's truck. Flames were roaring inside of the cab, creating a thick black smoke that was billowing out the window. Robin was standing off to side looking on.

"Seriously Jaxon? Was that necessary?" I pointed at the truck.

He spread his fingers wide and placed them on the hood, and a moment later the flames receded, and the smoke cleared. "Thought that would get your attention, love. It didn't hurt that I also got some payback for the damage Kellan did to my car."

"Don't call me that. Especially, if you don't mean it."

"Well, I can't say that I loved seeing his truck here this morning," he spat. His eyes to rested on Kellan leaning against the porch railing. "But I see you're still wearing my ring. So, I assume we have still a contract."

Nod. Kellan urged.

I licked my lips and dipped my head in agreement. "I haven't said otherwise."

He looked up at the sky, then let out a long sigh. "Good. I'm glad to hear..."

"Ack-hem," Robin interrupted, giving Jax a stern look jerking his head in the direction of Sage. "You had something to say."

Jaxon furrowed his brows like he was trying to think of the right words to say, then looked over at her. "Uh, right. Sage, sorry about your arm. I honestly didn't mean to... Its just when it comes to Wren..."

"Save it for someone who cares," Sage replied cutting in. "As far as I'm concerned, it's too little, too late. You can keep your non-heartfelt apologies." She lifted her hand to cover the burnt mark on her other arm and hugged it close to her.

Kellan chuckled behind us and Jaxon's eyes darted to look directly at him. "We'll see who has the last laugh, Kellan. Come on Wren. It's time to go."

"What do you mean, go?" I clutched the railing on the stairs, using it to prop myself up. "Go where?"

"Back home to our house. I'll have someone come by here and collect your things."

Oh, God. Our house?

Breathe Wren. Kellan's voice washed through my thoughts.

Easy for him to say. It wasn't him like he was going to be alone with Jaxon when he saw my strange colored eyes. After I broke my promise, I was sure Jaxon wasn't going to be all that forgiving when he found out.

"I don't understand. What do you mean leave? I live here. At least until, everything's official." Gran placed a reassuring hand on my shoulder.

Over my dead body, anything official happens. Kellan's words floated in my head.

"Jax—"

Jaxon looked pissed. "I've been more than generous, giving you loads of room to figure everything out. It's not that I don't trust you—it's Kellan—I have reservations about," he said looking up at him. "Bring Sage, bring your Gran. I don't care. But not having him run interference in our relationship anymore."