reclaiming

"So the girls want to meet up for mimosas at Polilya," Lily informed me, a wide grin on her lips. "And I'm also singing tonight, so you're not allowed to say no. Besides, they all really missed you."

"Oh?" I clasped the pearl necklace on my neck. I smiled, pleased at how it complimented my olive skin, tanned from the long hours spent frolicking in the Plage de la Croisette Beach in Cannes.

My sister smirked. "Yes, there. Weren't you quite familiar with it considering that's where you guys always went? If I quite remember, he brought you home dead drunk one night without touching a hair on top of your head."

I sent her an amused look through the mirror. "Oh you sure love talking in timelines."

I swiped another coat of mascara and rouge. Then I was good to go.

"So you're going, right?"

"Ofcourse I am, darling girl. It would be rude of me not to. Besides, I missed hearing your voice."

I wanted not to go, ofcourse. He could be there for a drink with Bridgette. But in the two years I had been away, I had developed a pretty thick skin. Crossing the carpeted floor, I grabbed a dress from the closet.

"Good," Lily smiled. "You won't regret it."

"You look gorgeous. You'll blow them away."

I laughed, eyes twinkling. "You're too kind, my love. Now help me zip this thing."

She rolled her eyes. I put on my gloves. "Where'd you get this dress?"

"Paris, the ever loving fashion capital as always."

"You do realize they've been replaced by the British Invasion, right?" Lily chirped.

I nodded. "Still, I don't care for much of it aside from The Beatles. I saw them live with Andrew last year by the way."

"Andrew?" Lily asked. "Speaking of, why didn't he come with you?"

Oh yeah. I purposely didn't include details of my recent break up with him on my last letter to the family. "We broke up."

"Oh, Annie, I'm sorry to hear that," she said softly.

I waved a hand. "It's fine. I broke up with him, but he was so understanding. God, I could've been married to the guy right now as we speak.."

"We all know you're not the type of girl to fall in love plenty of times," Lily said, giving me a gentle smile.

I sighed. "I know. And he deserves so much better."

"So anyway, I was wondering..." Lily bit her lip. "Can I raid your closet?"

I grinned. Typical Lil. "Yes ofcourse. Have to warn you, there's not much pink in there."

She squealed. "You're the best sister ever. And it's fine! I can do any colour if it means imported dresses."

She hopped to the closet, eyes brightly scanning all of my clothes. "This is all so worth burning my hand making you breakfast."

I laughed. "Oh Lil. I knew that's why you never changed much of the interior and why you're making breakfast for the first time in like, ever. Now hurry up before we'll be late."

*.*.*

Polilya was located just a few blocks from our apartment. The moment I stepped inside, I inhaled sharply at the nostalgia that had hit me quite hard. I had to grip my clutch so tightly, my knuckles had turned white.

As though seeing that involuntary action, Lily turned around from the patrons that had greeted her and faced me. "You'll be fine, Annie. Trust me."