Chapter Thirteen

Somehow, I survived Sage and Marley's endless rounds of interrogations the following day. They fired question after question at me, all of which I answered as tactfully as possible.

"Did he make a move?"

"No."

"Did you even hold hands?"

"No."

"Did you snuggle in the booth?"

"No."

"Did he smell good?"

"What?" I laughed. "Oh, wait, I remember—he smelled like a fresh bakery on a spring morning."

Sage rolled her eyes. "You're hopeless, Rayne," she sighed.

"I sure am."

"You know he's never going to ask you out again."

"Correction: he never did ask me out in the first place."

"Whatever." Sage shook her head sadly. "You two would have made a great couple."

"Not."

Sage playfully shoved my shoulder, and I shoved her back. I knew she was disappointed in me, but I wasn't about to tell her that Luke and I were meeting at the Café again on Saturday. She and Marley would jump all over the news.

Speaking of Marley...

As Sage and I rounded the corner towards the pool complex, I asked her where the third member of our trio was.

"I dunno." Sage shrugged. "She was here at lunch."

"That's weird. I wonder where she is." I glanced over at Sage's wristwatch as we entered the women's locker room. "We better hurry. Swim starts in two minutes." I hurried over to my locker, but as soon as I pulled it open, I let out a sharp cry of astonishment.

"What?" Sage asked, scurrying over. "What's wr—" Her eyes grew wide when she saw what had happened. "Oh no. Rayne..."

We both stared in disbelief at the contents of my locker. I gingerly picked up my goggles, which had been cut in two, most likely by a sharp razor. My towel was frayed and cut in multiple places. My cap had even been slashed down the middle. But the worst damage was done to my racing suit. I could barely even distinguish the bright colors and markings as a veil of tears began to cloud my vision.

"That jerk," I muttered, not even bothering to wipe my eyes as I pulled my personal belongings out. I stared at them incredulously, not believing that this had actually happened. Madeleine had gone too far this time—much too far. My blood boiled with rage. "She has no right," I said fiercely, slamming my locker closed. "Who does she think she is? Why is she doing this to me?"

"You can use my extra swimsuit," Sage offered quietly.

"It wouldn't fit. I'm four inches taller than you," I muttered, cradling my head in my hands. Something had snapped inside of me at the sight of all my swim equipment destroyed. Did Madeleine Hansen have a disorder or an anger management problem? Because who else would do such a thing?

I glanced over at Sage, whose mouth was still parted in shock. "Do you have an idea?" I demanded. "Any idea as to why she would do this?"