Chapter 8

The three ladies-in-waiting she'd had been assigned had all remained at the ball until well after Lissa had stripped Isabelle of her finery and tucked her into bed. She woke with the first of the morning light, partly because of her old habits from home and partly because of the hunger gnawing at her core. Accustomed to her mistress' habits, Lissa appeared quickly after Isabelle rang the call bell for her, ready for her early rise.

"Forgive me," Lissa said upon entering, "But they wouldn't allow me to fetch you a breakfast tray."

Isabelle groaned, tumbling back against the pillows as her stomach roared in protest. She hadn't realized how much she'd been counting on Lissa after having run from the ball last night without so much as a crumb of food.

"They're trying to break me," Isabelle muttered. "Is there an official breakfast today at least?"

"I'm afraid I haven't been given a social schedule, my lady. They claim it was given to one of your ladies-in-waiting," Lissa replied. Isabelle pushed herself up onto her elbows, meeting her maid's stare. She nodded wordlessly and Lissa didn't need to ask her what she meant. Slipping from the room, the maid padded softly across the sitting room, sneaking into the opposing bedchamber among the snores of the three ladies-in-waiting.

Isabelle's stomach gave another almighty growl, urging her out of bed. Wrapped in a dressing gown against the chill, Isabelle took a seat at the escritoire in an attempt to distract herself from her hunger.

Dearest Father,

Highcastle is just as wonderful as you'd told me it would be. However, I haven't had the luxury of sampling any of their local delicacies yet, as I've been relegated to contraband bread and water. My hosts are spartan, to say the least, though they have gifted me with a trio of young ladies as attendants. I fear they may be dim-witted as they failed to summon me for luncheon yesterday, but I believe I have them sorted out now.

I met our charming prince last night and you would be interested to know that I was chosen as his first dance partner. He is a fine dancer, but our conversation was so enchanting it had me retiring early last night to think. I noticed that Samuel Winters is here as well; I hadn't realized His Majesty was summoning all of us borderland children to the palace, but I'll be sure to greet Sam sometime today.

Cora Neasmith and Violet Harwood are here as well, so I have a few friendly faces here. Apparently there was a bit of an uproar when I arrived as I now outrank the rest of the debutantes. It's a pity I'm already spoken for, otherwise I would have quite enjoyed lording it over the lot of them.

Her Majesty was unimpressed by my choice of accessories when I arrived. She attempted to strike a bargain with me, but I refused to participate. There are many things I will sacrifice for the sake of my people, but my ring is not one of them. Forgive me, Papa, for I am trying very hard to behave, but I do hope you can understand there are certain lines that I will not cross.

Send me news of Kentshire, I miss you more than you can imagine.

Love always,

Your Isabelle

As Isabelle signed and sanded the letter, she hoped it was polite enough that any prying eyes wouldn't land her in more trouble. She sealed it into an envelope, marking the wax with the Kentshire signet ring her father had gifted her for her thirteenth birthday.

When her maid still hadn't returned, she fished a fresh sheet of paper out from the desk drawer, chewing her lip as she stared down at the blank page waiting to be filled.

Dear Leo,

I hope this letter finds you well and warm under the sunny Ardalonian skies. Highcastle is just as you'd warned me it would be, as is the prince. I do hope you are having a wonderful time in Relizia as I'm certain it's far more enjoyable than my current circumstances.