Chapter 26 - Part 2

**A/N: I was told that this would be a good thing to do, so just a little trigger warning: this chapter deals with some violence.**

"What are you doing here?" Isabelle asked, still rooted in place in the doorway to her suite. Leopold's brows quivered as he dropped his arms.

"I've come to take you home, of course," he said. "As I'd promised before I left."

"Yes, of course," Isabelle said, distractedly. Lissa hovered beside her, her excited grin giving way to confusion when she took in her mistress' confusion.

"Shall I fetch some tea?" Lissa asked.

"No, please stay," Isabelle said too quickly. Leopold frowned in earnest now, the hackles rising on Isabelle's back.

She had to tread carefully. Lissa had snuck her out of the queen's reading room with Cora Neasmith as the only witness. Isabelle knew Leopold would not be a welcome guest inside the palace, which meant that he had likely snuck in as well. Her father had instructed her to remain at the palace until he said otherwise, which would become far more difficult if Leopold intended to smuggle her out with him.

Papa had also said that he didn't want Isabelle anywhere near Leopold when he learned of the new law...

"How was your journey?" Isabelle asked, forcing the worry from her face. She tried an easy smile, but was fairly certain it came across as a grimace when the frown didn't leave Leopold's face.

"Swift," he replied, watching her. "Is something the matter, darling?"

Isabelle found that her feet wouldn't bring her any closer to him, instead skirting the room to stand behind her love seat. She rested her hands on the piece of furniture, her mind racing as she tried to puzzle out some way to send Leopold to her father without her.

"You never wrote to me," she said finally, the hurt on her face genuine. Leopold's jaw muscle pulsed even as his face softened with the smile he saved just for her.

"I'm afraid I was far too busy in Ardalone, my love," he said, taking a few steps towards her. Isabelle couldn't help but take a few steps back, which earned her another frown.

"You were gone for over a month and you couldn't find the time to write me even once?" Isabelle asked. Frustration flared in his dark eyes before they softened.

"Darling, I was sent as an emissary of Germania, not as a prince on holiday," he said, coming around the love seat.

"Not even one letter," Isabelle repeated. Leopold sighed.

"Must we really fight?" he asked. "I'll admit I was hoping for a more enthusiastic greeting than this."

"And I was hoping for some sort of reassurance that you hadn't forgotten about me," Isabelle said, hating that there were tears rising in her eyes.

Here he was, the man she'd pined over and missed for months, but rather than throw herself into his arms, she was keeping him at an arm's length. Rather than be awash with happiness, her skin was prickling with apprehension. She wanted him out of her suite. She wanted him away from her. He didn't seem to be listening to a word she was saying, approaching her slowly as one would a terrified animal.

"I made you a promise," he said, his eyes flicking down to her ring. "Of course I hadn't forgotten about you."

"And yet you couldn't find a spare minute to write to me and say so," Isabelle continued. The frustration flared in Leopold's eyes again as he ran a hand through his hair.

"Had you ever considered how it looked, Isabelle?" he demanded. "I was nearly overrun with your letters, each one more desperate than the last. Each one talking more about Prince Graham than about us. Why would I ever reply to such nonsense?"