Chapter 11: Jasper

The inside of the house is pitch black. Not a slit of sunlight enters the house. Close your eyes and you'll see what I see. I'm almost convinced the sun isn't up, but I know it's shining right this very second. Every window is closed shut, the curtains dangling in front of them. No longer are our hands in the possession of Jerod's Grandmother. We are all let go in front of the door.

"What happening?" China cries. "What's wrong with Nana?"

I feel someone's hand grab mine and yank it back immediately. "Relax. It's me, Helena," she says, grabbing my hand again. I can't see her, but I can hear her. "We're about to play. I need you to stay near me at all times," she whispers.

Why? Why does she want me to stay by her at all times? What about Caleb? Does she even care? I pull away from her. "I have to stay with Caleb." I accidentally stutter as I speak. I reach my hands out for Caleb and call his name. He calls my name and wraps his hands around me, hugging me tight. I tell him that everything is going to be okay. 

At the same time, I feel the uncomfortable pain of string sliding through my lips, bringing them both closer and closer. 

"Mm-mm!" All of us hum and try to talk, but our lips are sewed again. That's when I remember I have my flashlight and pocket knife in my back pocket. I also have my phone, which I take out first and turn on. When everyone sees my screen light, they gather around me. I pull up my note settings and start texting so everyone can see what I want to say. 

"Use your phone for light," My text says. 

Everyone takes out their phones and turns on their flashlights. I feel a cold chill run through my body. Suddenly, a paper appears in my hand. A paper appears in everyone's hand. Mine's blank. I watch everyone else stare at their papers. Helena's face loses its color as she drops hers.

"Lights off, begin," an airy voice says from somewhere above us.

All of our phones turn black and it's completely dark again. I have this feeling Helena us it. Don't get me wrong, I love my friends. I really do, but I grab Caleb and we carefully head into another room where I shut and lock the door.

Caleb and I stretch out our hands to find somewhere to hide. My hand presses against something soft. It's the bed that's in the room. I grab Caleb and push him under the blanket, where I follow behind him. Here we are, both under the blanket hiding, waiting for someone to say, "I found a dead body!"

I can't begin to tell you how helpless I feel. A game like this isn't something I will ever get used to. My friends are out there with God only knows what. My hands and legs are weak and I'm shaking so much that I feel like I'll go into shock any second. Caleb holds me, though. He seems calmer than anyone.

Caleb and I jump when we hear something drop, followed by the sounds-pat pat. I slow down my breathing and quietly pull out my pocket knife. I put my other pocket knife in Caleb's hand. I can feel his breath on my neck as we wait under the heavy blanket. It's so hot and I'm sure Caleb can hardly breathe. I lift the blanket over our faces. In front of us is a large dresser for hanging up clothes. There's something on top of it but my eyes aren't fully adjusted. Because I know that whatever wants to kill us would have already if it were in the room, I shine my flashlight at the dresser.

Nothing. Nothing but an old lamp resting at the top.

Pat-Pat-Pat

There's that noise again, except this time, it continues. It sounds like it's coming from underneath the bed. For some reason, I keep holding my breath every chance I get. I'm too afraid to breathe.

Pat-Pat-Pat 

The sounds are so close to me. I feel like if I lift the blanket, I'll see the source of what's causing the noise. Then, in that very moment, my worst nightmare comes true. Every child's fear. A hand wraps around my ankle so very slowly that I can feel each finger rest on my skin, sending a cold chill up my leg that paralyzes my entire body. I try to scream and hurt my lips in the process; I'm sure they would tear open if I try any harder.

"I found a dead body!" I hear Carmen yell.

Knowing I'm safe, I lift the blanket then shine the flashlight at my ankle. Caleb hides his face behind my back. There she is... just like the last game. Her mouth is slit from ear to chin. 

When the string to my lips falls off, I run into her arms

When the string to my lips falls off, I run into her arms. I don't care how scary she looks, she's still my mother.  I look at her face, and she blankly stares at the wall. It's terrifying. I want to cry so badly. I almost do cry, but I stop when I hear it.

Jerod screams. Those screams when you lose someone you love dearly. It comes from the back of the throat and you feel like you can't breathe. I look back at my mom but she's gone... just like that. Vanished into thin air.

Sunlight flooded the house now. I run into the living room to see Jerod holding his grandmother and Carmen, China, and Doreen crying behind him. Helena sits against the wall, covering her face. There's a screwdriver on the floor by her leg, and the tip of it is decorated in blood. Had Helena killed Jerod's grandmother?

Carmen runs up to me and hugs me. I ask her what happened. She points at Helena. "She killed Jerod's grandmother!" Carmen yells.

Helena kicks the screwdriver. "It wasn't me! How many times do I have to say it!" Helena yells back.

"Who was it?" I ask Helena.

All of us look toward the bathroom when we hear someone grunting. It sounds like someone's suffocating or being strangled by someone else. Helena run toward the bathroom first and I follow behind her. Jerod, Doreen, and China stay behind. Inside the shower is a guy. I think it's a guy, anyway. His head is shaking rapidly and moving so fast we can barely see their face.

 His head is shaking rapidly and moving so fast we can barely see their face

He drops to his knees and the shaking turns into twitching. We watch in horror until he finally stops and looks at us. His hair dangles over his eyes but when our eyes meet, I regonize him.

"Help us, Emily," he says. I thought he would disappear like my mother did, but he only collapses onto the floor. I quickly put my hand over his heart to see if he's okay. Tears slowly slid down my cheek because I feel his heart beating. It's beating. He is still alive.