F. Scott Fitzgerald

"You don't write because you want to say something, you write because you have something to say."

~

"Writers aren't exactly people... They're a whole bunch of people trying to be one person."  

~

"That is part of the beauty of all literature. You discover that your longings are universal longings. That you're not lonely and isolated from anyone. You belong."

~

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."

~

"Genius is the ability to put into effect what is on your mind."

~

"You can stroke people with words."

~

"An author ought to write for the youth of his generation, the critics of the next, and the schoolmaster of ever afterwards."

~

"The world only exists in your eyes. You can make it as big or as small as you want."

~

"You've got to sell your heart."

~

"Show me a hero and I'll write you a tragedy."

~

"All good writing is swimming under water and holding your breath."

~

"Action is character."

~

"Vitality shows in not only the ability to persist but the ability to start over."

~

"An artist is someone who can hold two opposing viewpoints and still remain functional."

~

"Great books write themselves, only bad books have to be written."

~

"Nothing is beneath you if it is in the direction of your life."

~

"What people are ashamed of usually makes a good story."

~

"Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss."

~

"Cut out all these exclamation points. An exclamation point is like laughing at your own joke."

~

"I don't want to repeat my innocence. I want the pleasure of losing it again."

~

"If I knew words enough, I could write the longest love letter in the world and never get tired."

~

"Often I think writing is a sheer paring away of oneself leaving always something thinner, barer, more meagre."

~

"I shall go on shining as a brilliantly meaningless figure in a meaningless world."

~

"If you are strong enough, there are no precedents."

~

"There I was, way off my ambitions, getting deeper in love every minute."

~

"Too much of anything is bad, but too much Champagne is just right."

~

"When people talk, listen completely. Most people never listen."

~

"To write it, it took three months; to conceive it, three minutes; to collect the data in it, all my life."

~

"Nobody ever became a writer just by wanting to be one."

~

"I hope that you live a life you are proud of. If you find that you're not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."

~