{15}

Chapter 15

James had dinner at the Faye house a lot after that Monday night and Casper ended up doing the same over at the Davidson’s house too. Surprisingly the first dinner at Casper’s had not been awkward but instead nice. Wendy Faye seemed to like James, especially after he complimented her meal. Nothing pleased Wendy Faye more that getting praised for her cooking skills.

The boys spent so much time with each other over at one another’s houses James had even been acquainted with his dad who also took a liking to the boy; probably because he laughed at his many terrible, terrible jokes that had Casper groaning and covering his face with his hands which had James laugh harder.

A few weeks of dinners at Casper’s and the continuous hanging out at James’ in was inevitable that Casper didn’t end up officially meeting James’ parents as well and he was struck by how much James took from both of them: He had his dad’s crooked smile, his lean but tall frame and green eyes and he had his mother’s slender jaw and shadowing eyelashes. He noticed later, that James also shared his mother’s sense of humour and collected personality and his dad’s built up temper.

He remembered James’ sister, Maureen, mostly from when she was in sixth year when they started high school but there was a vague memory of her when he was in primary two. He remembered the fierce protectiveness given off of her from that time, always seeing if her brother was doing okay by going up to their table almost every day and giving Casper icy glares whenever he got caught lifting a hand to her precious little brother. He was kind of terrified of her but he remembered always harbouring a sort of idolised crush too. It was weird to think how attractive he had found her back then and not once had he ever saw the similarities between the two but now it was evident that Maureen was James’ double, if anything she was a female James - or James was a male Maureen but either way it worked well. Maureen, it seemed, even going through college, had still kept her keen eye, or so it seemed that every time he glanced or looked or laughed at James he would catch her looking and analysing, saying that she knew and every time it made Casper’s heart drop and his breathe hitch in fear.

He tried mostly avoiding eye contact with her at all costs.

Casper liked James’ parents. He liked them a lot. He liked the banter over the dinner table, the feeling of a whole family having dinner - usually it was just Casper and his mum as his dad was always out early – and the obvious love they carried with each other even when they were having a go at one another and the look James got on his face when he talked to his mum made Casper want to jump him right there and then but in front of his mum , and at the dinner table no less was a big no-no.

It didn’t stop him from doing it in the havens that were each other’s bedrooms though.

Most of the time the two boys were together it was just hanging out in one another’s bedrooms. Casper was surprised when he saw James’ room for the first time it was clean and simple, the walls a pale blue with matching covers on the double bed with a framed map of Middle Earth and a few band posters here at there, a mix of all kinds. Usually they just played around on the computers, or on the play station or whatever. Casper enjoyed their make out sessions the most though, he’d come much attached to the sweet mouth of James Davidson. It wasn’t just always them either, Logan seemed to be there just as much as Casper was, meaning unfortunately those favoured moments of Casper’s were kept to a minimum.

Logan didn’t only come over most days – way more that his so-called friends did at all to his house - he would also stay overnight too, even on school nights, and James seemed to be used to it, as if this was a thing that happened all the time. James said it was because he really did hate living in that big house alone. Casper didn’t mind, not even when Logan would beg to play a game and leave Casper out as they were usually two player games, Casper would just sit by James and guide him through everything ending up a team win each time and a sore loser turning off the games in a huff and going on his phone. James would just roll his eyes at Logan and kiss Casper on the head in reward for his help but in denial that he could’ve won without Casper’s help anyway.