9

Eric decided to go for a walk that night. The full moon shone brightly on the beach and he needed to clear his head, so he took off his shoes and walked through the soft sand. He noticed lights in the distance and wondered if there was an event going on. He figured it seemed like a good night for such a thing.

"Hello, stranger," a lilting voice said from nearby.

Eric paused, recognizing that voice. He had thought of it several times, after all. "Angela, wasn't it?"

He turned to find her perched on a nearby fence, her bare feet dangling off the side. She smiled brightly at him, he pale skin nearly glowing in the moonlight. She looked more beautiful than he remembered with her dark hair contrasting her fair skin. She was wearing a white dress and looked more like a porcelain doll that an actual girl.

"You remember me," she noted, cheerfully.

"Hard to forget." He stared at her, searching for any sign of wings, even though he knew how insane that was. "I was beginning to think I had imagined you."

"I assure you, I am as real as you are." She hopped down from the fence and walked over. "You seem more lucid tonight than last time we met."

"Yeah." He rubbed his neck. "Sorry about before. I let my friend talk me into doing something stupid." He gave an awkward laugh. "To be honest, I think I had some hallucinations that night. I could have sworn I saw you sprout wings and fly away."

"Oh, yes," she said, "I do that from time to time."

He laughed at that. "I'm sure. So how have you been?"

"I've been well, and you?"

"I've been alright." He decided not to mention his romantic issues. It didn't seem appropriate at the time. "So do you live around here? This seems to be the only place I find here."

"I was at a party," she explained, "I needed some air, though. It's difficult to fly away when stuck inside."

"A bit difficult to fly without your wings," he pointed out.

She held out one of her arms and looked it over. "I don't feel like using them just yet. I've found something to catch my interest here, after all." She smiled at Eric, making him blush.

He looked away to hide it. "I would love to see that, sometime."

"Would you, now?" She laced her fingers behind her back and turned to face him, walking backwards as they talked. "Would you like to fly with me sometime?"

"What I wouldn't give to do that," he said with a dreamy smile.

She stared at him for a minute. "I wonder about that..."

When he gave her a blank look, she smiled and turned around, running towards the water.

"What are you doing?" he asked.

"Come closer and I'll tell you."

He shrugged and dropped his shoes on the sand before stepping into the water with her. "So what is it?"

She kicked some water at him.

"Hey," he yelled, backing up.

She laughed and bit her lip.

"Oh, it's on," he said, bending down to slash her.

Angela squealed and splashed more water at him.

Eric laughed as they chased each other around in the water and steadily became soaked.

At one point, the current made him trip. He accidentally knocked her over and fell on top of her. They continued to laugh as the current washed over them, then drew back.