02. Duke of Westland

~ Revised and Edited ~

Ella had remembered Naomi's description of the oh mighty and handsome Duke. 

Mighty and handsome doesn't begin to describe him Ella. He is a dream beyond compare. A chilling wave upon the summer shore that would leave you breathless. His eyes captivating...

And that's how it went for Ella who reluctantly continued to listen to her sister's breathless illustrations of the Duke. 

Ella only wanted to stuff her ears with cotton and her sister's mouth with cotton too so she wouldn't have to hear another word about the Duke. 

But as much as she wanted to, it was inevitable because it struck Ella at that moment that Naomi's illustrations of the Duke may have been all too accurate. Almost too accurate. 

From her little corner at the refreshment table, Ella gazed at the figure who dominated the entire ballroom.

The Duke of Westland - Amos Knight - had finally made his grand appearance. 

Tall, daring and powerful. That was all Ella could make out from the dominating figure but it was enough for her to decide that she would stay as far away as possible from this figure tonight. 

Amos, on the other hand, had only one goal: find a wife. 

After sweeping a cool gaze across the ballroom that had fell silent as soon as the Duke had made his appearance, Amos began to descend from the staircase. As if a signal, the music began once again and most of the crowd continued with what they were doing. Most who were men, of course. 

Ella, along with the eagerly awaiting female eyes, continued to follow the Duke as he descended. 

With each step he made, Ella felt a tingling sensation dance about her skin. It felt like his steps emanated a powerful pressure that spread across the ballroom leaving mostly the women breathless. 

Breathless? Me, breathless? 

Ella's thoughts had only caught up to what was happening with her body when she clasped her mouth in awe. 

Indeed, she was breathless. Her chest was heaving softly and her lips parted letting out small breaths of air escape from her lungs. 

Quickly realising the state she was in, Ella ceased it immediately. 

This is not the time Ella to be like your sister. Ella's inner voice reminded her. 

Agreeing with herself, she tore her gaze away from the Duke and continued her consumption of the beautiful paradise that lay before her. 

Just as she tore her eyes away, Amos had finally arrived at the foot of the stairwell. 

What awaited him was a flock of very desperate birds, 'ladies' if you may, waiting to take flight. Only it was to fly into the Duke's arms. 

Ella's attention was only on the food and her plans to escape but before she had any hopes of the latter, an all too familiar voice of doom interrupted her. 

"Ella! What on earth's name are you doing?" If Jennifer's tone of voice was made of venom, it surely sent a venomous message to Ella's ears. 

Slowly turning towards her mother with a mouth fully stuffed with a piece of cake, Ella responded:

"Mahrdur - " Ella swallowed some of the food but it still left her mouth and her words incoherent for anyone to understand when she spoke. "Wardah pleshant shurprise!"