12. The Engagement Party

~ Not Edited ~

Ella stared back at the unrecognisable figure before her. She was propped, pampered, and well indulged to the desires of those above and beside her. Her long locks were fixed to perfection with much dedication. Her features enhanced delicately with appropriate and suitable assets bringing out more of her beauty. She was dressed in a soft pink, royal gown that hugged her petite figure with accuracy. The gown was accompanied with white crystallised patterns running along the rims of her dress, escalating towards the breach of her waist until reaching the straps that hung elegantly for support on either side of her arms, leaving only her chest upwards barely foreclosed from any revealing and desirous inappropriateness to a much wider crowd. She was of astounding perfection, or so she thought.

They both stared into each other's eyes and what Ella noted that did disrupt the perfection of the beauty before she was the gleam in her faint green eyes that seemed too long for a different destination, a different purpose other than the fate she was forced with.

"You look more beautiful this time around, Ella," Freda ushered gleefully behind Ella as she also took in Ella's perfection and beauty.

Ella only sighed when she realized that the figure before her was only herself displayed in an orientated, full-length mirror.

"Everyone will be astonished once they see you, especially the Duke," Freda continued.

The Duke.

Ella had almost forgotten that she was getting married to the likes of him.

It has been four days since their last encounter in his study and Ella was quite glad she didn't have to see him again, until unfortunately soon for their engagement party. Although, quite glad she still wasn't glad that she was forced into a death threat deal to marry and become the so-called Duke of Westland's wife. It was still a thought she has always regretfully reappraised every now and then. But never gave away to the thought of her family's welfare and safety especially knowing the Duke's capabilities.

Ella finally turns away from her reflection to face Freda with a concerned look of wariness.

"How has the Duke been?" Ella asked forcibly precautious to the way she sounded just by asking about the Duke.

Freda smiled, "Still predictably cold, arrogant, and fully occupied with his own business."

Nothing I don't know, huh? Ella thought loosely.

"Hmmm . . ." Ella replied nonchalantly whilst looking the other way.

"It'll be ok, Ella. You're a special girl," Freda compliments wholeheartedly, reassuring and reminding Ella of her capabilities and talents.

Ella looks toward Freda and is heartened by her compliment.

"Thank you, Freda," Ella smiled. "I'm grateful to have an amazing friend like you," She said before giving Freda a surprising but warm-hearted hug which Freda returns acceptingly.

Meanwhile, three knocks sound at the door which causes the pair to retreat from their enlightened moment as Freda proceeds to attend to the person behind the door.

"Oh, Tim. Please," Freda gestures inside.

"No. I am only here to deliver His Grace's gift for Miss Pearson," The butler which now Ella knows as Tim, expresses towards her and Freda as he hands Freda a small, black rectangular box.

Freda thanked Tim and closes the door after he bows and returns.

Curious Ella is summoned towards Freda's presence. Handing Ella the box, Freda takes a step backward whilst urging Ella to open it and find out what gift this might be that the Duke has to give for Ella.