Chapter 7: Fathers

Safia crossed her arms under her breasts again and stared in the direction of the window, as if the move wasn't a conscious ploy on her part. The creak of Rezo's chair and rustling of cloth had her swallowing a smile. It was nice to know her efforts weren't going unnoticed.

The silence between them stretched out for several minutes. Safia left it to him to break, not sure what tact to take at this point. She'd made the decision to avoid bringing up his father as much as possible. So far, she'd gotten the impression that Rezo found her amusing and interesting, so keeping the mood light would be best. Let him like her more and he'd have a harder time sending her off to a life of imprisonment. A point she'd drive home again whenever the chance next arose.

"Did you ever consider finding some legal trade instead of being a thief? I'm sure you could have found something."

Safia turned back towards Rezo, hands dropping to her hips. "Like what? Proper apprenticeships cost money, and we didn't have any. My options were to take menial jobs like washing other people's laundry or becoming the lowest of the servants, fit only to clean parts of the house only the other servants see. Or I could have sold myself, either to one man as a wife, or many different men as a prostitute. I chose my freedom and to make a living selling my skills, not my body."

Rezo ran a finger around the hilt of his sword as he shifted in his seat, not looking at her. "There are temples-"

"Only if you can prove that you're someone they consider deserving. And as the daughter of a 'criminal', I knew none of them would even listen to me." Safia snapped her mouth closed, once again cursing her inability to keep her tongue in check. She hadn't meant to mention her father again. Hadn't wanted to bring those memories back to the fore. Then again, Rezo's birth father was a thief, so maybe he'd understand better than most.

"Oh, I see, now that you know who my father is, you're set to tell me all about how your own father was a thief, is that it?"

Safia glared, hands balling into fists. "My father was nothing of the sort! He was an innocent man, and if it hadn't been for that slimy bastard of guard needing to arrest someone, my father would never have been imprisoned. He died in gaol, all because the real criminal had enough money to pay for bribes."

For several heartbeats, there was no sound except for Safia's hard breathing. She concentrated on inhaling and exhaling slowly, trying to force herself to calm down even as her hands rapidly opened and closed. Nothing made her angrier than thinking about what had been done to her father. Falsely imprisoned, shunned by everyone they'd known, no one except her and her mother believing in his innocence. He'd died a broken man, not the confident father she'd known up until then.

"My apologies. I thought- I thought it was a trick." Again, Rezo wouldn't meet her eyes, his hands clasped loosely in front of him, his chair firmly on the ground. "It can't have been easy for you and your mother."

Safia shrugged, shoving the last of her anger away. It wouldn't do her any good now. "We survived. And it simplified my choice when the time came. After all, everyone expects the daughter of a criminal to be one as well." She couldn't quite keep all the bitterness from her voice. Not when she could still picture the looks their neighbours had turned on them, like they'd suddenly become monsters during the course of one night.

Rezo winced. "I can't deny that. I was given a second chance, but I know I'm one of the few lucky ones. Were you able to clear your father's name?"

The laugh that escaped her lips was hollow. "This isn't a tale told to children or some copper-dreadful. Of course I couldn't. That bastard is still a guard as I understand it. Still taking bribes too, I'm sure. And everyone continues to think that my father was a rapist and murderer."

He choked. "Rape and murder?"

Safia met his wide eyes and smiled without an ounce of amusement. "I told you, my father died a broken man. Our neighbours turned on us. Theft is one thing, murder quite another. No one wondered why my father, who had never been seen anywhere near that actress, would decide to rape and kill her. No one wondered why a man known for refusing every fight thrown his way would beat someone unrecognizable. Just because the real criminal was rich and could pay off some guards, we lost my father."

Rezo looked away, but not before she saw the grimace twisting his lips and drawing lines around his nose and mouth. At least her runaway mouth wasn't getting her into further trouble with him. If the story had to jump from her lips, she was glad that it seemed to be making him think. Maybe he'd realize she wasn't a bad person and let her go. Maybe he'd even realize the choices she'd made didn't define her as a person.

She pushed that thought away. It didn't matter what Rezo thought of her, as long as he let her go. Once they parted ways, they'd never see each other again. At least, Safia intended to check to make sure she never went up against him during another job. He was too good and there wasn't enough money in Perdim to make it worth the risk.

A flare of red in his cheeks preceded Rezo looking back up at the ceiling. After a few moments he met her gaze again, studying her face, his lips pulled down. "Let's talk in hypotheticals. If I were to hypothetically let you go, would you promise never to steal anything again?"

Safia blinked then frowned. Part of her wanted to say yes, of course, but she knew he'd never believe an instant answer from her. She could lie and say she would, but she had the distinct feeling Rezo would see through that. "In this imaginary situation, how am I supposed to make my shine then? Even in a fake scenario, I refuse to become a whore. My body isn't for sale."

"You could always try the other side of the law."

She crossed her arms over her chest. "I'm a known thief. I'd be arrested before then. Not to mention clients aren't about to trust a thief, even a former one, to keep their valuables safe. They'll think it's some kind of Monkey trick to get in with them. And I know you're not suggesting I try for the guards since they don't take women, nor anyone without a good reputation and family. They definitely don't accept the children of criminals."

"I know." Rezo's words were quiet but practically shouted the truth of the matter.