20

"Thank you for meeting me so early." I tell Caroline as she gives me the bag I asked her to bring. "Wait, didn't you wear that dress yesterday?" she asks me as I open up the bag to make sure she brought everything I needed.

"Yes. Why do you think I asked you to bring me clothes?" I question, giving her a look. "Oh, my god." she gasps, a smile forming on her face. I give her a worried look, "What?!"

"You slept with Klaus!" Caroline's voice beams throughout the quiet school hallway. "Caroline!" I hush her immediate with my hand covering her mouth. There was no students in the school ground yet, I think, but I still didn't want her to say that out loud.

I release my hand and take a deep breath. "No I didn't." I lie, throwing my heels in my locker. "Well, now you're lying to me. I can tell because one, I'm your best friend, and two, you're practically glowing."

"Just please keep your voice down! And don't you dare tell anyone." I point at her and she nods quickly with a smile. "So you did?! I promise I won't tell a soul."

I close my locker and turn to Caroline, who was still smiling. "What?" I sigh, making my way towards the school's bathroom. She tags along and squeals, "How was it?"

"Caroline!" I gasp, not expecting that from her. "What?! I wanna know. He's like a bazillion years old. I'm sure he has had plenty of experience."

I shake my head and ignore what just came out of her mouth. "Fine, you don't have to tell me. But, I do have to tell you something... Stefan and I think Elena is sired to Damon."

"What? Is that even possible?" I ask her and she nods. "Well, Stefan and I had a long talk about it last night. It all makes sense, right? Everything he says, she does, and everything he wants, she gives."

I stand there in awe, taking this all in. I was surprised, shocked even. "I can't believe this..."

"I talked to Tyler about it." she informs and I nod. "What'd he say?"

"The sire bond exists because the hybrids are grateful to Klaus for relieving them from the pain of having to wolf out every full moon, and that's why they have to turn until they're not ruled by the pain anymore." she explains.

"Right, but Elena's not a werewolf so what's the vampire equivalent?" I question. "Well, that's the problem. There isn't one."

"Stefan told me not to tell anyone, but since you're close with Klaus. I thought I should share this with you." she responds and tugs my arm. "So, please ask him."

I give her a look and she looks at me with pleading eyes. "Please!" Caroline begs and I nod. "Fine."

§

I step out of the school's bathroom and the hallways were already crowded with students. I put my belongings back into my locker and spot Elena, Bonnie, and Caroline at Elena's locker. I close mine and walk towards them.

"Elena, you sure everything is okay?" Bonnie asks my sister. "Yeah. Why wouldn't it be?" she questions. "Well, Caroline told me you had to move out to stay away from Jeremy."

"It's fine. Jeremy has Maya to keep his hunter stuff in control. Right?" Elena turns to me and I nod frantically. "Yes."

"Jeremy called, though. He said you weren't home... where were you?" Elena asks me and I look at Caroline for help and she immediately does. "She stayed over my house. We had a last minute project to work on."

Elena nods. "But are you okay? I mean, clearly, they don't have a flat iron at hotel Salvatore." Caroline changes the subject and I mentally thank her.