Chapter 17 ~ Captive

Arabella woke up for the first time all week feeling revitalized as she made her way to the kitchen before anyone else was up and moving. While she made coffee and started breakfast her thoughts were filled with what occurred after yesterday's baby appointment. Jonathan surprised her with a nice supper at the diner discussing their future and their child. It wasn't what they were planning to happen but fate had set its course and they decided it might be or the best. However, they both agreed that until her pregnancy was noticeable they would keep it to themselves just encase something inevitable were to happen at this point.

While she was flipping and scrabbling the eggs Jonathan walked in from waking up to the aroma of the dark roasted coffee brewing. He gently wrapped his arms around Bella's waist and planted soft feather-like kisses along her neck and shoulder before he poured himself a cup and made his way to his chair with playful smirks placed on both their faces. The moment was over within a second as Stacy bounded her way down the stairs and her usual bundle of happiness."Awe Bella you didn't have to make breakfast. I could have done that, but wow it sure smells great." She said as she piled on some over-easy eggs, sausage links, and simmering hot hash browns.

Bell laughed and replied, "Yes, well I woke up and couldn't go back to sleep so I figured I would surprise you for once with food." Then dipped her toast in the deliciously warm yoke and took a bite. Their mornings have become a comfort and were ultimately glad that this was the journey her life had taken. Granted she still didn't know if what she and Jonathan had was love but she knew it was something to cherish along with her friendship with Stacy.

Jonathan left with the rest of the hands as they headed to the south of the farm to check that everything was clear and ready for the new season. The women headed towards the barn to finish mucking and feeding all of the animals.

"Ugg, I hate winter here." Stacy whined as she dug the pitchfork into the final stall "I mean every year it's always the same and honestly, I think if you're sticking around, then I am going to look into traveling for a while."

Arabella laughed and shook her head "Oh so that's what I am to you. Now that I am here you want to leave." She joked then asked, "So where would be the first place you will go?"

It was going on around four and the men would be coming home a little later than usual as the two made their way back towards the house. "Well, I thought Europe. It always seems so amazing in books and it's away from here for a while. Plus our mom and dad honeymooned there so I want to see what they experienced." She signed wistfully as they opened up the front door and took off their boots.

Bella sighed "That does sound beautiful and if you go you will take pictures and bring me things. After all, I am your favorite sister." She ordered and then said, "Hey I am going to go freshen up since we still have a while I can't hand smelling like crap." Then they both let out a fit of giggles and went towards their rooms.

Arabella grabbed a pair of Jonathan's sweatpants and an old shirt and made her way into their bathroom. Slowly she turned the knobs to adjust them to the scolding hot, loosen all of your muscles, and wash away the grim temperature she has grown used to. when she looked in the mirror and let out a blood-curdling shriek. Neal was standing in her doorway with a gun pointed directly at her.

"Come on sweetheart, that's no way to greet your husband. Now be a good girl and follow me and no one will get hurt. I promise." He spoke in an antagonistic voice as he slowly approached her.

Bella was frozen in place wondering where Stacy was, knowing if she had heard her scream she would have been here already. "Where? Where is Stacy at Neal?" She asked shakily as she grabbed her arm and yanked her towards her.

He never faltered with his steps as he led her out of the bathroom and towards the kitchen. There slumped over in one of the chairs was Stacy tied up and unconscious. "There, now sweetie does that answer your question?" He asked nonchalantly then continued "Now have a seat and be a good girl or you will end up like little miss sunshine here."

"Neal, why are you doing this?" She asked with tears forming in her eyes and a lump in her throat. "We are divorced we have been for a year, just leave and we can act like this never happened." She begged him

Neal turned and smacked her in the face with the back of his hand. "Divorced!" He screeched "Divorce doesn't change a thing. We said our vows and you belong to me until one of us gets to greet death on his doorsteps." He said as he yanked her chin up to look at him. "It's okay though, I understand how these two could have persuaded you to see that you weren't betraying me because of a so-called piece of paper." Then bent down and gently kissed her tear-stained cheek and whispered "Maybe if you behave and we get out of here with our new names and life, I might let you keep this bastard of a child."