A Kiss

Damian

Skylar picked me up after school to meet up with his friends at Millie's Pizza. Cheese and garlic wafted through the pizzeria. An old counter stretched along the wall, while the rest of the restaurant was occupied by tables and booths. I eyed the pop culture posters covering the place. 

"Hey guys!" Kris brushed his black hair out of his face.

He sat at a booth near the back windows. I scooted into the seat first, sandwiched between Skylar and the window. My leg brushed his and I jerked it back. 

"Happy Valentine's Day!" Kris leaned on his boyfriend. Tyler's eyes softened whenever Kris was around, which was too sappy for comfort.

"We can only stay for an hour," Skylar said.

"Aw," Kris said. "I want to hang out longer though."

"Don't worry, you still have me," Tyler kissed his cheek.

"Babe," Kris melted.

The waitress arrived with a notepad in hand and took our order before retreating to the kitchen.

"So... what are you two doing today?" Kris wiggled his eyebrows which made Tyler burst out laughing.

Heat shot to my face. My eyes flickered to Skylar. My heart skipped a beat. It didn't matter how hard I ignored it— he's gorgeous. No longer was he the lanky, pale kid I met several years ago. He had grown up to play in sports and be nominated twice for prom king. 

Our faces were mere inches apart. His eyes were sapphires. My breath hitched when he leaned closer and he grinned,

"Yeah, Damian? What are we doing?"

My chest tightened.

"Shut up." I rolled my eyes and looked away.

"Do you want a kiss?" He purred.

My face snapped back. "Skylar—"

He held a Hershey's kiss in his palm.

As they all laughed, the urge to disappear burned at the back of my mind. "I hate you guys." Why does he tease me so much?

"C'mon," Skylar unwrapped the chocolate. "Say ah."

He stiffened when I parted my lips, but he pushed inside, his fingertips grazing my tongue as he retreated. He averted his gaze. I took a large sip from my soda.

"Why don't you ever feed me?" Kris asked Tyler.

The pizzas were placed on the table. "Do you need anything else? Alright, I'll be back to check on you."

Kris rolled his first piece into a taco and shoved the grease ball in his mouth. I hid my disgust, turning my cheek to the side.

"Why is food so good?" Tyler moaned.

They ate like they hadn't in years, and if I had to pick who had the worst table manners, it was Kris, but Tyler was strong competition.

Sooner than later, my bladder was about to explode. "Hey, let me out."

"What's the magic word?" Skylar teased.

"Move," I growled.

"Why would move be the magic word?"

"Sky-lar!" I kicked his shin. I think. He groaned.

"Is it really that hard to say please?" Tyler raised his eyebrows.

"You have a little." I tapped my mouth and Tyler rolled his eyes, wiping the sauce off with the back of his hand.

In a hurry, I scooted over Skylar's lap. My bladder ached, screw embarrassment, I had to go.

"Damian," Sky hissed.

"Thanks," I got to my feet.

--

I washed my hands twice... maybe I should wash them again for good measure? I tried to ignore my reflection. I wasn't ugly, but I wasn't anything special either. If I didn't like my appearance, it could affect the rest of my night. After wiping my hands off, I exited the bathroom.

"You look beautiful," Dad's voice rang in the distance.

A chill shot down my spine as I twisted my head in the direction of his voice. If Dad or Sarah find out we're here, after already grounding us--

They both stood up from their table.

My stomach dropped. 

That isn't Skylar's mother...

Authors Note

Question for this chapter:

Are you single or taken?

my answer: Single ¯\_()_/¯

Thank you for supporting this book!