Purrfect

D A M I A N

The local arts center wasn't much on the outside, a simple brick building, but the inside, art was everywhere: paintings and murals, clay statues and pottery, paper machete. I eyed the art contest designs as we walked down the foyer and then down the long hallway. Aunt Teresa stopped in her tracks and I slammed into her.

A brown set of double doors stood tall with Auditorium B written across them.  Teresa led us inside the gigantic room, a long stage at the center surrounded by three different rows of seats leading up. Teresa flicked the switch making the lights slowly burn brighter and brighter until the whole place was lit.

Ding! Teresa grinned at her phone. "Skylar will be here—"

"What? Here? Now?" I looked over my shoulder.

"—soon," she eyed me. "To help out. He is the lead."

"But we haven't really talked since..." The party. That stupid party. My heart hurt. I rubbed my arms. "He still..." hates me.

She gave me a sad smile. "I'm sure he's over it by now? He can't blame you forever." Her hand squeezed my shoulder.

"I don't know about that." I shook her off and sat down in one of the red audience seats.

"Skylar's a smart kid, he'll come around." Her phone dinged. "Ooh, I gotta take this!" She walked off.

Alone, I unlocked my iPhone and tapped on iMessage. My last texts to Skylar were all on read, but unanswered. He was ignoring me. It was almost physically painful to read over the formality of my texts.

Skylar, I'm really sorry. I should have told you.
Can we talk?
You said you needed space. It's been two weeks.

"Ugh!" I buried my face in my hands. When did I start caring so much about him? Was I being desperate? My eyes scanned the last message I sent and I nearly threw my phone.

I miss you

So embarrassing! I cringed. The fact that Skylar had read it and not replied-- I wanted to die. I can't ever look him in the face again.

-
- -
- -

Spoiler alert: I didn't have to. Skylar avoided looking in my direction. It was stupid. One minute, I'm scared of him looking at me and the next, I'm mad he won't?

He stood near the entrance, talking to his new best friend, long haired and pretty faced Emily Bennett. Not that I cared or anything. They seemed to get along, if social media was anything to go by. The amount of pictures they'd taken together was appalling.

"You're staring."

I jumped a little and glared at Gabriel. "How long have you been there?"

He sat down. "You should just go talk to him. Things won't change if you sit here like a chicken shit."

"I'm not a chicken." I glared at him. "I'm respecting his space."

"Uh-huh." Gabriel smirked. "Whatever you say."

"I apologized." I crossed my arms. "I should've told him and I know that now. What more does he want? An apology video?"

"Maybe for you to mean it," Skylar said.

My blood ran cold. Shit. Why was everyone sneaking up on me today? I slowly turned my head to see his stony expression staring back at me. It didn't suit his personality at all.

"Don't eavesdrop on" I stood up.

"Then keep my name out of your mouth."

"I don't want you in my mouth!" I snapped back. He stared at me. "Wait— that's not—" My face burned. "I meant your name! Your name in my mouth, not your—"

Skylar's lips quirked and he looked away, running a hand through his hair. "I know."

My heart beat curled into love letters as Skylar and I stood inches apart. The closest we've been in weeks. His eyes were the prettiest blue and he smelled so good, I just wanted to hug him. I yearned for it.

"Sky..." I heard myself say. We locked eyes, but he looked away.

"I can't do this," He said.

I stared at the side of his face and my stomach dropped. "Oh..."

"Who's this?" Emily squeezed in between us, her slender fingers wrapping around his arm. Those sparkly nails glared back at me.

"My step-brother."

"I didn't know you had a brother," She said.

"Step," Skylar and I said simultaneously.

"Let's go." He turned away. Emily gave me a lingering look before following him.

They look good together.

Gabriel stood up and leaned an elbow on my shoulder. "Well, at least you talked?"

My heart hurt and my self worth was deflating by the second. I stared after Skylar's back. He doesn't even care. He wants nothing to do with me. Why bother? I should just go home and lock myself in my room... my eyebrows furrowed.

"No." I walked down the isle, heart racing as I passed them up, their stares burning my back as I stood before Aunt Teresa. "I'm going to audition." She looked startled for a moment.

"What? I thought you hated plays?"

"Not anymore." I held my head high despite the warmth rising in my cheeks.

Her lips pulled into a grin. "Well then! I have the purrfect role for you."

-
-
-
-
-

A/N: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! I'll come back and edit this chapter later y'all

Sorry I'm so MIA!! I'm trying to get my life together this year but it's hard especially with social anxiety but I'm getting there 😅 it's so easy to relapse into bad habits when you don't keep yourself in check!!

I'll probably finish this book in Nano-Wrimo this year so I can edit and post it afterwards bc ya girl needs to get the show on the road. Skylar's chapter is up next so y'all can understand what's in his noggin lol.

QUESTION OF THIS CHAPTER:

What's your sexuality?

My answer: straight, maybe bi?? If I fall for a girl in the future, I fall for a girl. I'm more into guys but I feel like I'm kinda bi 🤷🏻‍♀️ anyways I CAME OUT OUTTA NOWHERE LOL it just popped out of my mouth!!! My mom said she loves me but I know she's disappointed 🤪

Don't feel the pressure to come out if you're not ready or in an unsafe environment guys.

Until next time 💕💕💕