Chapter 42

I never once considered the possibility of Asher leaving me. I mean why would he? I never considered the possibility of ever dating him either. And look where that got me.

He never returned from L. A.

A few weeks after the accident I was allowed to travel so I came back home. Asher didn't come with me. Said he had some work. Never even called again. Last time he did that he disappeared for weeks and before that for two whole years. For two years, before the senior year of high school, it was as if he didn't exist for me. But I saw him everywhere.

"Thanks for coming with me," I said to Ashton as he drove the rental to a place that I was dreading to visit.

"I would've never let you go alone in that condition," he glanced sideways at me and smiled slightly.

"I'm almost as good as new," I said.

"Almost," he pointed out.

I had finally read the letter Nora left me the day before my eighteen birthday. It said to visit the address I was heading to, among other things. But I was still pissed to dwell over the other things.

I reached for my jacket at the backseat as Ashton stopped the car in front of a house that looked identical to every house on the street. The front lawn was sparse with hardly anything growing. It became a little warm during the daytime here, but still cold enough that I couldn't do without a jacket.

"Want me to go with you?" Ashton looked at me.

I shook my head. I had to do this alone. "I'll be fine," I assured him.

I opened the door and stepped out. He did the same. I pulled on the jacket, looking at the house and sighed. I hadn't even realized my heart had started pounding.

"You sure?" Ashton came to stand beside me.

I nodded.

He gave me one of his dazzling grins. "I'm sure they'll love you," he said, brushing away strands of my hair the wind had blown over my face.

I didn't say anything. How was I supposed to play family with some people I had never met before? Never even knew they existed? But I wanted to meet them. I just wasn't sure if they wanted to meet me.

"I saw a Wendy's not far away. I'll wait for you there. Just give me a call when you're done and I'll pick you up," he said, nodding in the direction we came from.

"Okay," I said, letting out a deep breath.

I walked through the front lawn and up the porch steps. When I looked back at Ashton and he gave me a thumbs up. I turned towards the white door, the paint was chipping off from some places. I raised my hand, knocked twice and waited.

After a whole minute the door opened revealing a woman who looked my grandmother's age. A few stands of white hair peeked from under brown hair. She looked at me furrowed eyes. I fiddled with my fingers, thinking what to say. Finally I cleared my throat and swallowed.

"Um. Hello. I'm Ellie Anderson and you probably don't know me, but I'm-" I was cut off as she pulled me to her chest, wrapping her arms around me and squeezing the life out of me.

"You came. You are here," she kept whispering as if she couldn't believe it.

My hands were at my sides and I stood stiff as a board. She let me go after what felt like forever. When she stepped back her eyes were covered with a sheen of tears.

She touched my cheek lightly, smiling a watery smile.

She gasped as if she just remembered something. "Come inside. Don't stand there," she pulled me in with her. When I glanced back I caught a glimpse of Ashton watching us. I'd told him to go.