Prologue

Willow nudged her way in between her mother's legs to take a peek outside of the den. It wasn't a very sunny day. It was still hot like summer is supposed to be like, but it was dry. Extremely dry. Willow tried to scramble up the slope leading to the clearing but was unexpectedly lifted off of her feet by her mother.

"Where do you think you're going, pup?" Ivory chuckled, then turned and set Willow back down on a pile of leaves that were used as bedding in the nursery.

"Hey! I just wanted to go outside! I wouldn't go far!" Willow grunted and put on a pouty face. Normally, pups her age were able to leave the nursery, and if they are lucky, maybe even go on a hunt!

"Don't worry yourself, dear. You will have plenty of time to roam around outside when you are older." Ivory stated, gently nudging Willow with her nose.

"But I wanna go outside now!" Willow peeped.

Ivory gave her a stern look. "Patience is the key to success." Willow rolled her eyes. Ivory had always said that whenever she had acted unruly.

Ivory started to laugh at Willow's expression but she was cut off by an urgent and desperate howl in the clearing. Ivory immediately went to the mouth of the den and crawled some ways out to see what the ruckus was. Willow scrambled after her, and for once, Ivory did not stop her.

"Everyone! Run! There is fire! Fire is taking over the forest!"

The clearing exploded into chaos. Wolves were running everywhere, rushing to try and find their loved ones before it was too late.

Willow looked up at Ivory with her eyes wide with fear. I don't understand it, what's going on? Oh please sky-wolves let everything be alright.

     The fire had reached one end of camp, sending a wall of branches into flames. Ivory seemed like she was almost hypnotized by the wall of fire. Willow stood with her mouth open, gaping.

     "Oh my..." Ivory snapped out of her trance and grabbed Willow by the scruff. A loud whine escaped the pup's mouth as they emerged into the clearing.

The ground seemed to be racing by them; but no matter how fast they ran, the heat seemed to always be closing in. The fire roared and cracked. All around was the orange and yellow monster.

     Willow felt a flame sear her paw and she winced in pain and shut her eyes tight. They suddenly came to a stop and Willow opened her eyes a bit to see why they had stopped.

    They were surrounded by the fire. Ivory was turning urgently, trying to find a way out, but it was hopeless. A loud crack sounded behind Ivory and Willow craned her neck to see what had made the sound. A tree behind them was covered in flames and it was about to crash down.

    "Mom! The tree!"

    Ivory quickly threw Willow out of the way. She scrambled to escape from the path of the falling tree, but it was too late. Willow stared in horror as she watched the flames spread from the tree onto her mother.

     "No! Stop! Get away from my mother!" The pup's vision was blurred from the tears she couldn't hold back. "Someone! Please help! My mom is hurt! Help!" Some of the fire had burned out now, leaving her in a circle of smoldering ash.

     "Please someone help us!" Willow howled desperately. She swung her head, trying to find any sign of other wolves, any sign of life. There was nothing. They left her.