Chapter 12: Ground Rules

"Hey, checking in," Becca's message said. "The party is around the corner! Just wanted to make sure—" I deleted the message before it finished. Who left voicemails anymore? While slipping on my shoe with one hand, I called her back with the other.

"Hey, Sabs!"

"Hey. Sorry I missed your call, things have been a little hectic at work."

"Don't worry, I get it. How's the planning coming? Did you need anything from me?"

"No, we should be good," I let out a heavy sigh, "The RSVPs aren't coming in as quick as I expected, but I planned to order extra of everything anyway."

"Are you okay?" she asked me. "You sound off."

Well, I'm lonely, I'm sad, I possibly ruined my relationship with the only consistent person I had in my life. "No, it's fine. My patient is going through it so I'm kind of going through it too."

"I can't believe you agreed to be on a cancer case. Like you didn't have enough stress before."

"I know. I'm a glutton for punishment, I guess."

"Well, tell him he needs to let you sleep. You can't look after him all day and all night. You have to squeeze some fun in there somewhere. Maybe naked fun, too." I closed my eyes and groaned away from the speaker. "A little birdie told me Max is still available."

"I think I've burned that bridge well enough."

"Oh, come on. He's a great—" She stopped short. A voice in the distance mumbled something. "Hey, I have to go. See you soon, okay? Kisses." She hung up before I could respond. Not that I would have. All of her reminders did nothing to help my mood.

I finished slipping my shoes on and left the changing room.

It was Ziggy's chemo day again and I dreaded seeing him. Any disappointment he felt after that night would have paled in comparison to the disappointment I had in myself.

Theresa found me as I walked past the station. "Mr. Ziegler already went down. Did you not see him?"

"He went down by himself?"

"He said he was feeling better, so I let him take himself. The exercise will be good for him anyway."

He was feeling better, sure, but he was also avoiding me. I sighed and make my way downstairs.

In the treatment room, my jaw dropped at what I saw

In the treatment room, my jaw dropped at what I saw. Ziggy smiled as he sat with the circle of women. Perched on an ottoman right in the middle of Mae, Ellie, and Vicky, he joined in their chatter as if they had been his friends all along. The loner no longer alone.

I walked over and eyed the suspicious scene. "How are you all doing today?" I asked them.

"We're great, nurse Brennan. How are you?" Vicky answered. Always the mom of the group despite being the youngest.