Chapter 19 - Dad

Skylar POV

"Alpha Myers! They're here!"

The smile leaves Colton's face. He releases his hold on Beta Larson, dropping both him and the pen to the ground. I can hear Larson coughing. Theo crawls towards him and begins to look over his neck for any injuries. However, all I can focus on are those two words. 

They're here. 

My pack is finally here to save me. 

"Very well. Where are they, Mitchell?" Colton demands. Beta Larson shakes off Theo and slowly gets up to his feet. I see him straighten up his back and he throws on a blank face. 

"The south border. There are about a thousand of them visible." Mitchell answers. 

Colton purses his lips and nods his head. "They came for a war." He states. 

"And a war they shall get." Beta Larson adds. 

My head snaps in his direction, disbelief at his words stains my face. "What?" I ask him incredulously. 

Beta Larson ignores me and instead turns to the warrior. "Round up the warriors. Prepare the women and children who cannot fight for the Cellars. Alert the other districts of what is happening. We will convene in the courtyard in fifteen minutes to discuss our plan. Now leave." He orders. "Alpha, what do you want me to do with these two?"

Colton turns to look at his Beta. His eyes burn into him, looking for answers that Beta Larson isn't giving. "Nothing. I need both of them with me on the front lines. We will deal with their indiscretions later." He finally answers. 

Beta Larson nods his head. "Yes, Alpha." 

"Come. All of you. We have a war to fight." Colton commands. He grabs my arm and leads me out of Theo's office. His grip is relentless. 

"Why must it be a war, Colton?" I ask quietly. "Why can't we just tell them I am alright?"

Colton laughs a humourless laugh. "That's not how it works, sweetheart," He replies simply. 

"Well, that's the way it's going to work!" I huff. 

He stops suddenly and turns to me. He grabs my other arm with his free hand and pushes me against the wall with enough force to knock the wind out of me. "Don't make me muck up that pretty, little face of yours, mate. It would be a shame for your father's final image of you to be one of your hazel eyes swollen shut and your nose bloodied." He growls. 

His words make me freeze. 

My father.

My forever tear-filled eyes leak down my stained cheeks again. I nod my head silently and he releases his hold on me. I follow him to the courtyard without fighting. Thoughts of Colton killing my father dance around my mind. I couldn't care less what he did to me, but my father doesn't deserve his wrath when all he is doing is looking out for his lost, little girl. 

I mean, Colton would do the same if he was in his situation. Wouldn't he?

Truthfully, I don't know the answer to that. Colton is cruel and evil. He has no heart whatsoever. I don't know how he would be with his own pups. Maybe he would change, but my better judgement says otherwise. Colton wouldn't change for anything. His behaviour towards me is proof of that. 

A loud cough catches my attention and I find myself beside Colton in front of hundreds of men, women and older children. Some are in their wolf forms, but all of them are ready for a fight. Every single one of them are sending knowing glares my way. They know that if they die today, it is because of me. Their glares send shivers down my backs, forcing me to look down. I don't care if it is an act of submission. I cannot stand the thought of being the cause of so much death.