o n e

A N N I E

"Mommy it's my birthday soon!"A pair of warm hazel eyes look up at me.

"Yes honey, it is." I say and caress his cheek picking him up and setting him on the counter.

I have been living for three years on my own, one day doesn't go by where I don't think of him. My son Luke looks a lot like his father from the eyes to his hair.

I work in a small cafe run by a sweet old lady named Emily who treats me as her own. When I left Nick I ran into this place and Emily hired me right away without hesitation, if it weren't for her I would be alone.

"Annie dear it's alright to leave I can close up." I see her cleaning the wood countertops.

"No it's alright I can help" I walk towards her and get my white rag wiping the coffee machine.

"No Annie, take Luke home he must be tired." She chuckles.

"Emily really it's fine." She snatches the cloth from my hands.

"If you don't leave with Luke right now I will make you take leave for the rest of the week." She says with a stern look and her hands on the side of her hips.

"Okay if you insist, c'mon Luke let's go honey." He jumps off the counter running towards Emily.

I go to the back, hang up my apron and walk back out to Luke.

I get down on one knee to his level "Say bye to Emily and we can go" He nods running to her and hugs her legs.

"Bye bye Emily." She ruffles his brown hair.

"Bye sweetie, don't be shy to come to the cafe and get some cookies okay?"

He nods his head once again smiling.

I grab Luke's hand walking out with him.

"Bye Emily see you tomorrow!"

"Bye hon, and don't come tomorrow spend the day with Luke!"

"Em-"

"I'm sorry I can't hear you" she uses her hand to imitate herself.

I shake my head rolling my eyes. I get Luke into the car and head home.

_

"Hey mommy" I stop at a red light looking at him through the mirror.

"Yes honey."

"Where is my daddy" I take in a sharp breath pressing the gas as the light changes to green.

My poor baby, he always asks this question and I throw the topic off.

I cannot tell him the truth about his father just yet, but when I do it's his choice if he would like his father in his life or not.

"He is somewhere far away and not sure if he will be able to come home" I glance at him through the mirror telling him.

"Do you know where he is" His eyebrows knot.

"No Lukey, sadly I don't."

With that I turn the music up a bit more.

When we got home I did the usual, I give him a bath, put him to bed but not before reading his favorite book.

I keep thinking about what Luke asked me today about his father, no child deserves to not have a mother or father.

As luke is getting older he's realizing he doesn't have a father and he is going to want to know the truth about where he is and I just dread that day to come.

My thoughts get interrupted by my phone.

"Hello?"

"Hey girl."

Of course my best friend since I got here, Amy calls me every night.

"Hey, hows it going babe"

"Great, anyways guess who I saw on the magazine today."

"Hm I wonder who, tell me." I look at my nails uninterested, she always tries to find drama on the news or magazines.

"Stop being sarcastic!"

"It's my nature."

"Anyways! I saw your ex-husband and they say he looks worse than ever."

I freeze "What do you mean."

"They say he has to go to rehab for like a drinking problem and they caught him wearing his wedding band, it's all over the E news go check!"

I hang up and turn on the t.v.

"Today we have some news on the multi billionaire Nick Collins! It looks like he is going to rehab for having a drinking problem caused by depression, but what could he ever be so sad about him am I right?! And he was also caught holding a water bottle but on his left hand on his ring finger is a wedding band! Is Nick collins secretly married? Is this the cause of his depression? Who is this wo-"

I turn off the t.v.

Days don't go by where I don't check what Nick has been up to mostly because it's all over the internet now, after I left he never became the playboy I thought he was going to be.

He actually never left his home and always kept his head down going out for once in months.

Loking at him now is making me want to see if he is o-

No Annie remember he broke your heart because he didn't trust you enough! And decided to fück your so called best friend.

"Ugh" I shiver remembering them on his desk and him telling me he loved me for the first time, to think it was all a lie.

I shake my head.

-

FLASHBACK

Nick took me to the park at our spot where he asked me to be his girlfriend for the first time.

I could have never been happier that day it was amazing.

"Oh my Annie" He picked me up lifting my feet off the ground and spun me around as I giggled.

"I love you so much" I stopped giggling after what he just said.

"What did you just say." Tears start to form in my eyes.

"I said I love you Annie and I have never loved another woman besides my mother but my god, you complete me, you are my everything!"

I feel the warm tears going down my cheeks but quickly get wiped off by Nick who's holding my face in his hands

"Oh Nick, I love you too!" I hug him tight and kiss him like there's no tomorrow, I never thought I could love someone as much as him and hope it stays that way.
-

I feel something rolling down my cheek and realize it's a tear I quickly wipe it off.

No, he doesn't deserve my tears.

Removing those thoughts I check on my handsome little boy and go to bed.

☆☆☆

Edited:✔️

Word count:1104