twenty-four

They sat together enjoying each other's presence as if the string that was broken had fixed itself. They smiled and laugh, getting to know one another as they simply just spent the rest of Athena's break full of jokes and story times. Alejandro truly began to appreciate what he had in his hands, they way Athena laughed made his heart skip a beat, the way she talked made him feel happy and the way she stuttered over her words made him wonder what did he do to deserve her?

  When Athena had finished her shift, Alejandro was waiting patiently outside for her, hands in his lap as he saw her leave the building. A wide smile on his face as his heart started to stutter, he went over to her and proceeded to walk her to her car before opening the door for her and then watching her drive away from him. His heart felt extremely lighter as he walked back to his car, the smile still remaining on his face as he drove home. He couldn't wait to tell his mother and he silently hoped that his father wasn't around to hear them.

  Once he was home, his mother greeted him with wide arms, informing him that his father had gone out with colleagues. Alejandro then proceeded to tell her what occurred.

  "I'm very proud of you Alejandro, very much proud of you," his mother beamed happily and then noticed how her son's face looked much more happier and content.

  "Thank you, I-I still don't know what I'm feeling, I know I like her, but, is it weird I feel as if it isn't a crush? It feels too much for just a crush," he mumbled, his heart skipping another beat as he thought of Athena. His mother pondered over that sentence, knowing all to well his son must be halfway in love with Athena, but only knowing her for such a short time, she couldn't tell if he was already in love, or it was blossoming into it. But, then again, love doesn't wait for no one.

  "Well, that's for you to find out for yourself, now, up to bed, you want all the energy to make Athena swoon," she teased and Alejandro grunted, a bright pink tint on his cheeks as he kissed his mother goodnight and waltz up the stairs with another smile.

  When Athena had gotten home, she placed Drew back into his cot and then stripped out of her work clothes and into her pyjamas before diving into bed with a smile on her face. It seemed as if everything worked out fine, she wasn't mad or shy with Alejandro anymore, she was simply content with herself and fell asleep with a bright smile on her face, her mind plagued with Alejandro. A simple attraction turned in to a crush, and hopefully will turn into something more.

    The next few days were written in a blur, by the time the weekend rolled over, Athena and Alejandro were practically inseparable. Alejandro had came over to her house every day with food to cook for her, he ignored her protest about how she should be cooking and went on to cook for Athena and Drew who gurgled happily as he turned six months old that very Saturday. Athena bumbled with joy as she showed Drew the new toy she got for hi They were sitting on the couch listening to Alejandro's Spotify playlist on his speaker as the smell of home-cooked food lingered in the apartment.

   Drew gurgled in happiness as he played with his new rattle which was shaped into a bumblebee on a flower. Athena's heart warmed up in happiness as she recorded him on her phone, enjoying the moment before Alejandro went over to them and placed Drew on his lap, tickling the child's side who laughed loudly. 

  "Happy six months Drew!" he chuckled as he blew raspberries on his stomach which earned another laugh, Athena chuckled along, loving the picture of her son and Alejandro getting along before stopping her recording and proceeded to scoop Drew into her own arms and hug him tightly.

    "Happy six months my precious," she exclaimed and then kissed Drew's cheek. Alejandro watched them with content. His heart warming up at the sight of Athena and Drew's interaction, wondering to himself about having his own children someday and hoping their mother would be just as amazing and kind like Athena. Before he knew it, he suddenly pictured Athena holding two children and an older Drew running around a modern styled home. He blushed at the thought before ridding of them and enjoyed the moment with them.