Chapter 26: Reality

Milo slid the bottle from Katarina's loose grip and took a sip to quench his own thirst. He had completely forgotten that for the whole time she had been unconscious, he had been sitting by her bed waiting on her waking up. Dinner had consisted of picking at lamp chops and a few sips of coffee, in his attempt to keep himself awake.

Milo was surprised to hear her vision. He didn't know why he would risk turning in front of the Elders when he was angry. His emotions had always been harder to control when a wolf. It was practically a crime of good etiquette to transform in front of them without permission.

Katarina's mental voice showed the same break of emotion that her real voice would.

Katie...you're my little wolf, if you ever left me it would kill me. My heart wouldn't have time to break. Milo caught her face in his hands and tried to get the message through to her. They didn't need to talk about how much it hurt to not be with each other because it wouldn't ever happen.

I don't want to leave you Milo, not now that I know what it would do to us. So I need you to make sure that I can't, if I ever change my mind. You know how insecure, I am about how different I am. I need you to make me strong and make sure I stay. Katarina begged and pleaded with him unnecessarily.

Milo smiled at the way she gripped his hand tightly, as if terrified that he would run off or she would. He hated seeing her so upset and confused, but there wasn't much he could do. So I have your permission to go all Alpha on your pretty little ass?

Milo. She scolded him, rolling her eyes in exasperation.

"What? You are adorable and you are asking me to be the Alpha. So how am I going to accomplish this?" Milo decided this part of the conversation was serious enough to warrant being spoken out loud.

He lay back down again, getting comfortable as Katarina finished off her shake. He swung one arm back behind his head and contemplated how he was going to go about keeping her with him and stop her from running off.

"I think I'm going to have to steal you from your father, for a start. And I think we have to keep you locked up in the house all week. Except when you're at school. Because there, at least, I can protect you and keep an eye on you." He thought through every eventuality.

Katarina wasn't going to run off during the school day and other than walking her to and from school, he wouldn't have to worry too much. It was later, after school and during the night that he had to keep her safe. Even if it was from herself. She had asked him to, after all.

If she was so scared of running off and convincing herself to do something she didn't want to do, then Milo was going to do everything he could to protect her. He was her Alpha. It was his duty. But most importantly, she was his true mate and as the man she was destined to spend her life with, it was his job to secure their relationship.

"Then, we need to find out where these outside shifters are from and where they are hiding in our woods. I need to set up a hunting party to drive them off before they can fulfil this vision of yours." He insisted, planning to rip them to shreds, just for thinking about hurting her.

I can show you where. I think it's the same thing I saw in the vision at school. She placed her empty shake bottle on the bedside table and turned into the warmth of Milo's body, snuggling in for the night.

"The one where you were getting the crap kicked out of you? Uh-uh. That's not happening. Ever." Milo bit the words out in frustration. He couldn't even think of seeing that picture she had drawn without wanting to let his wolf out and deal with the unknown people in it. He hated the very thought of anyone hurting her.

"Milo," He was surprised that Katarina spoke his name, this time sounding a little stronger and more confident in speaking aloud. Their eyes met and Katarina blushed. "I love you." She whispered softly.

Milo couldn't help but beam at her happily. Being mates and accepting each other was one thing, but saying the L word was quite another. "I love you too, little wolf. And we'll be okay. I'll make sure of that." He promised, reaching down to place a tender kiss onto her lips.