Chapter 28

Milo woke the next morning to shaking. He didn't like it.

He frowned and turned over to snuggle into the warmth of his mate as he had been most of the night. His arm reached out to wrap around Katarina's waist and found empty space. His frown deepened and the shaking continued.

He opened his eyes and disapproved instantly of the fact that Katarina wasn't lying next to him. And he could smell Leo in the room.

"Where is she?" He asked, without hiding his meaning. And without hiding his anger.

What made the stupid girl get out of bed at all, the day after having the worst 'episode' of unique talents she had ever had in her whole life?

"She's in the kitchen, Alpha. She claims she's going to school today." Leo answered dutifully.

Milo groaned in frustration and turned onto his back, stretching before sitting up. "Does she? Well that's interesting. What time is it?" He asked, meeting his Beta's eyes to see that he was caught somewhere between alarm, amusement and panic.

Milo understood that feeling. Katarina continued to confuse his emotions time after time.

"Seven, Alpha." Leo said. He felt like hitting something. He did not want to be up this early.

Katarina. He called to her with his mind, unsurprised that he got no answer. Katarina had always been the one to start their secret, internal conversations. He wondered absently if it was something he would have to accept, or if he could learn how to do it himself.

"Is anyone else awake?"

Leo made an odd choking noise that made Milo look at him more closely. The guy looked like he had barely slept and like he had just got a cough mixed up with clearing his throat.

"Yes, Josanna is with Katarina in the kitchen. Neither of them are talking to me and they refuse to hear my commands." He explained in exasperation.

Milo wondered when they had lost their well earned respect and authority over the Torlov girls. "Right. Go down and drag Josanna back to her room, by the hair, if you have to. I'll take care of my mate." Milo decided that he wasn't playing nice. He slipped out of bed, didn't check his hair or his clothes and walked straight for the door as Leo agreed in the affirmative.

Milo had his hand on the door handle when he realised something. He felt different. More aware. More like his wolf. When had that happened?

"Oh and Leo." He called back to his Beta with a smile, when he realised something else was new. A lot had happened the day before; he hadn't expected the night to bring even more differences. It was certainly intriguing. "Tell Josanna she's your mate already." He advised.

"Milo," Leo gasped and thrust his hands into his trouser pockets like an insolent child. "I can't be sure it's her." He protested lamely.

Milo knew it was a lie because he could sense it. He could smell the testosterone wafting out of Leo, like a signal to Josanna to make her move. He wondered if he had been doing that to Katarina over the last few days? If they had been in wolf form and he had picked up those kind of hormonal vibrations from her, he would have taken her to bed already.

"Well I am. Trust me, we'll all be a lot happier once it's out in the open." He promised, before leaving the room and shutting the door behind him.

He needed to put something between him and that smell of male testosterone. And, as he guessed, he only got halfway down the stairs when he sensed Katarina.

There was that wonderful earthy, beautiful scent he now associated with her, only this time it was a hundred times stronger. But not overwhelming. It was like a blanket of warmth around him, reassuring him that she was with him. But there was also another female scent. Just a little weaker than Leo's and tinged with anger.