Chapter 8 - Recovery

In the present

Tsunade was speaking to Neji and Kakashi about Hinata and how to get her back, when all of the sudden a memory flashed in her mind.

-In the Memory-

Tsunade was head of Konohagakure's hospital during the third Great Ninja war, she was the best medic nin in all the lands. The lengendary Sannin had seen many injured shinobi come through this hospital, but the worst she had seen during the war was when an ANBU brought in a young girl, no older than seventeen.

The teen had soft indigo hair, and seemed to be on the verge of death. Tsunade turned to the ANBU, "What happened? And what's her name?" The cat looked at her and placed the teen on a gurney, "Hinata Hyuga. She was taken by Iwagakure, prisoner of war. They tortured her and it seems that they tried... Other methods as well. She escaped the interrogation room and we found her fighting two more Iwa ninja as she is now. She killed her interrogator and knocked out another."

Tsunade stared wide eyed at Hinata, this meek looking teenager survived through that? Tsunade immediately grabbed the gurney and wheeled Hinata towards the emergency room. Many nurses helped Tsunade wheel the cart to the operation room, when the doors burst open, Tsunade found a nurse tending to a redheaded Jounin, she was stitching his bicep and the ninja had bandages around his head.

"Get out or I'll throw you out myself!" The nurse squeaked and immediately grabbed the shinobi and dragged him out of the room. The busty Sannin immediately began to work on Hinata's burns, her green chakra enveloping her hand and soothing the stinging pain that the unconscious teen felt.

Tsunade pumped her chakra into the poor girl, but felt Hinata begin to slip away. Tsunade's eyes widened, her mind racing, 'No, Kami! Please no!' Tsunade had healed most of her wounds, but when Hinata had been electrocuted her brain began to shut down, and now her mind was slipping away. Finally, Tsunade stopped her healing.

Hinata was dead.

Tsunade looked at her hands, the guilt overwhelming her. Her hands were stained with blood. Her blood. The blood of someone she couldn't save. The nurses tried again and again to revive her, but it was too late, the injuries where too severe.

Hyuga Hinata was dead, and there was nothing anyone could do.

The nurses filed out of the room, all had looks of grieving on their faces, but Tsunade stayed in the room, staring at Hinata's face. She looked peaceful, as if she were only sleeping, if only she were sleeping...

Tsunade looked towards the doorway and saw a boy about Hinata's age standing there, he had gravity defying spiky silver hair and a mask covering half of his face. Tears were spilling out of his eyes as he stared at Hinata, Tsunade understood and walked towards the doorway. She enveloped the boy in a tight hug, "Go-Gomanasai! Forgive me!" But the boy didn't move, he just stared at Hinata.

Tsunade squeezed him one last time before walking out of the operation room and down the hallway to her office.

-Memory End-

Tsunade snapped into reality and stared wide eyed at Kakashi, who eyed her with the same expression. "Tsu-Tsunade-sama did you just see what I saw..?" Tsunade nodded numbly and stared at her hands, oblivious to the look Neji was giving her.