Chapter Thirty Five

Sorry for the lack of updates but enjoy!

Not edited

******************

The first word I saw when I opened the letter was a bold faced congratulations. I held my breath for a long minute as the realization of my acceptance finally settles in.

Mixed emotions crash over me like waves and I struggle to understand how I really feel. I felt an odd sense of satisfaction and giddiness at the fact that I got in despite not wanting to go.

It was like being told that you're smart enough to go to an Ivy League even though you want to go to some small school close to home. While your mind is set on something else, it's kind of confidence boosting to know how prestigious the alternative is.

But despite my acceptance, I still knew what I wanted. And he was standing right in front of me.

"So?" Carter urged upon seeing my expression change into shock. "What does it say?"

My gaze shifts up as I give him a breathless smile. "I got in."

He let out a breath and gave me the same kind of shaky smile I was giving him. I knew that he wasn't sure how to react. Hell, I wasn't even really sure how to react.

"That's..." Carter trails off as he tries to find the  right words, but eventually falls short.

"I'm not going," I tell him softly. His surprise mirrors in his eyes as he looks at me, clearly lost, and I smile brighter this time. "I've known for awhile now. I don't want to go to Juilliard and make piano my whole life. I want to live my life as I see fit."

A knowing smile graces his lips as I recite his own words back to him. "I think that's a good idea."

"I also want to tell you that, even though you're an absolute idiot for wrecking things at the end of summer, I want to be with you." I'm full blown grinning as the words that I never thought I'd say escape my lips effortlessly. "But only if you're done making my decisions for me."

Carter grins back at me. His smile is bright and his eyes are shining. I could see the happiness alive in his features as his eyes graze over mine, then my nose, cheeks, and lips.

And then, with no more words needed between us, Carter leans forward and closes the distance. My heart practically leaps out of my chest when I feel his lips move against mine again.

His hands draw me closer and then dig into my waist to keep me near. I could smell his smell, my favorite smell, until all my senses were overwhelmed by the boy in front of me.

Our lips felt explosive and yet comfortably familiar. His fingers on my skin felt just right and yet wildly jarring. Our past felt so far and yet like it never ended.

But, no matter mind numbingly exciting or incredibly familiar, it felt right. Being with Carter felt so right.

"Amelia," Carter whispers against my lips, making my whole body stand at attention, and he pulls away just a breath.

My lips are tingling and my pulse is racing and I feel dazed as my eyes flutter open for the first time in minutes and I look at Carter through my lashes. His lips look as swollen as mine and his eyes are as soft as the smile on his lips.