Love? (Harvest Festival Cont.)

As she danced with Creek, all Poppy could think about was Branch. She wanted to dance with him, hug him, feel his hands rub her baby bump. But she knew he would never be so loving towards her.

The Trolls were stunned by the sight of their princess having a breakdown. Some figured it was simply mood swings, but her friends were certain it was something else.

"Poppy, what is it?" Biggie asked.

"I love him... I love him!" she sobbed uncontrollably.

"Poppy, you're not making any sense," DJ Suki said, confused. "Who do you love?"

Poppy wouldn't answer. She just kept crying like a baby.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Later that evening, Poppy prepared herself for bed. She felt embarrassed about having a breakdown in the middle of the dancefloor​. She acted like a child, and it was humiliating. She couldn't behave that way, she was about to be a mother.

"I'm sorry, baby," she whispered. "I'm in love with your daddy, but I can never be with him. He wouldn't want to be with me. He's worried I'll lead the Bergens right to us. You don't know what those are yet, do you? I'll explain later."

While the baby moved around inside​ her mother, Poppy thought about the night she was conceived. The Troll princess had given Branch an invitation to a slumber party with the Snack Pack, but he crushed it right in front of her. Poppy was raging mad. After a heated argument about parties and Bergens, Poppy screamed at the top of her lungs, "CAN'T ANYTHING MAKE YOU HAPPY?!" Before she could say anything else, Branch kissed Poppy passionately and she couldn't find it in her heart to push him away. She knew how wrong it was, but it just felt so right. While everyone else had fun at the slumber party, Poppy spent the rest of her night with Branch.

I love him, Poppy thought. But it can never be.

🔻🔺🔻🔺🔻🔺🔻🔺🔻🔺🔻

The following morning, Branch woke up to the sounds of the Trolls having fun in the village. It was the last day of the Harvest Festival, so he felt relieved that they would stop partying for a little while.

But then he realized, Poppy hadn't invited him this year. But why?

Maybe she has other things on her mind, he thought. Like... Creek...

Branch didn't like Creek even in the slightest. He was creepy, full of baloney, and he never wore a shirt. What Poppy saw in that purple dork remained a mystery to Branch.

"Maybe I should do something nice for Poppy," Branch figured. "I might not win her heart, but I could try to be her friend."

But what could he do for her?

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

While everyone else was having fun, Poppy sat on a bench and tried to stay awake. Carla rubbed her swollen feet for her.

"I couldn't sleep a wink," Poppy explained. "I spent half the night in the bathroom, and the other half thinking about Branch. Creek was right, I am in love with him. But he'll never love me."

Carla finished her massage and handed Poppy a note.

"What's this?" she asked. Carla just shrugged. Poppy read the note aloud.

"'Meet me in the forest before sundown.'"

"Meet who?" Poppy wondered.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Later that day, while the rest of the Trolls were preparing for the feast, Poppy headed into the woods to meet with... whoever sent her the note.

Suddenly, Poppy smelled something. It was... she sniffed... roasted hazelnuts, boiled veggies and banana pudding... with whipped cream. Poppy followed the smell and reached a small clearing. There was a table set up with all the food she just smelled.

"I hope this isn't a trap," she muttered, and cautiously approached the table. Poppy grabbed a fork and slowly poked at the roasted hazelnuts. Poppy then noticed Branch watching her.

"It's not going to bite back, if that's what you're thinking," he joked.

"You did all this?" Poppy asked, quite surprised.

"Well, I wanted to do something nice for you," Branch explained. "But I didn't want to be surrounded by a hundred Trolls. So, I thought we should hang out together."

"By having a candlelight dinner?" Poppy pointed out.

"Candlelight?" Branch repeated curiously. He looked down at the dinner and noticed the hazelnuts were on fire! He grabbed a cloth napkin and whacked the burning nuts with it. The flames eventually died out.

Poppy couldn't stop laughing. Even the baby must've knew it was funny, for she was kicking a little more frantically than usual.

"Tee-hee," Branch said sarcastically, and helped Poppy sit down, who was still giggling.

"This was... heh heh... very sweet of you, Branch," she said, calming down. "Thank you."

Branch smiled. "You're welcome."

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••

As the soon-to-be parents dined together, they talked about their lives and possible names for their unborn daughter. Poppy learned that Branch lost his parents when he was just two years old, so he never really got to know them. And Branch found out that because many of the finest doctors in the Troll Tree were taken and eaten by the Bergens, Poppy's mother died giving birth with no one to save her, and Poppy sometimes worried the same thing would happen to her.

Nevertheless, the two slowly began to understand each other. And even though neither could​ change their ways, Poppy and Branch slowly became friends.

Sorry if the characters seem a little OOC. This is my second story that mostly focuses on a pregnancy. The first one I'll delete eventually.

I already have an idea for a name, but I like to let people be open minded. No, I'm not telling you what it is.

Until next time.