Bond

As weeks passed, Poppy's baby bump continued to grow. She was due to give birth in less than two months and felt excited and nervous about it. But she was relieved that she wouldn't go through it alone.

That night, while everyone else slept, Branch met Poppy at her house in private.

“What have you been up to?" he asked.

“I'm turning the spare room into a nursery," Poppy replied. “Harper and I painted all of the walls, but I still need to set up the furniture."

“I'll take care of it," Branch assured her. “You just try to relax."

Poppy felt her heart flutter from Branch's protective behavior, but​ she shook off that feeling, assuming he only cared about the baby.

“I came up with possible names for our daughter," Branch said. “I thought we should talk about it together so it would be easier to think about it."

“Isn't it kind of early, though?" Poppy asked.

“Poppy, your due date's in January," he pointed out. “It's already November, and some Trolls give birth early. We should be prepared."

Poppy sighed. “What do you got?"

Branch took out a piece of paper and showed it to Poppy.

“‘Melody, Zinnia, Lily, Isa, Sydney, Flower, Bell, Venus...'" she read aloud. “I don't know. Some of these names seem a little too fancy."

“Well, I had a lot of trouble thinking," Branch admitted. “I don't even like most of what I thought of."

“Well, what name do you like?" Poppy asked. Branch thought about this for a minute and pointed at one of the names.

“That one," he confirmed. “Definitely that one."

“I like it, too," Poppy replied.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

After deciding on a name, Branch began his work. Poppy, meanwhile, sat in a chair and looked at pictures of herself when she was a baby.

“I wonder what our little girl is going to look like," Poppy said. “Maybe pink with a little orange, or green, or... Wait, was there a point in your life when you weren't grey?"

Branch's eyes widened. The day he lost his colors was something he didn't like talking about.

“I... I don't remember," he lied.

“Well, I bet they were beautiful," Poppy replied. “And I'm sure they'd look cute on our baby."

Branch just shrugged.

“Come here," Poppy said. “I want to show you something."

“What?" Branch asked.

“Come here!" Poppy repeated.

Knowing she wasn't going to let it go, Branch stopped working and approached Poppy.

“Get on your knees," she said. Branch was confused, but he did what he was told. Poppy grabbed his head and placed his ear against her baby bump.

As Branch listened to his child move, he felt something in him awaken. It was as if something was buried deep down, and his daughter was bringing it to life.

“I think she likes you," Poppy whispered.

“What makes you say that?" Branch asked, pushing away​ his earlier thoughts.

“Because she can tell that there's something soft and gooey underneath your hard shell," Poppy replied in a goofy voice.

“You're gonna make me throw up," Branch groaned.

Poppy giggled. “Okay, grumpy pants. Go back to your boring ol' work."

🔻🔺🔻🔺🔻🔺🔻🔺🔻🔺🔻

Branch's work wasn't finished until a quarter till midnight, and Poppy had fallen asleep in her chair. Branch carried her bridal style to her bed and made sure she rested on her side. Poppy snored softly and a small smile crept up on her face. Branch pushed her hair and gently kissed her forehead.

“Goodnight, Poppy," he whispered. Then he rubbed her belly and, under his breath, muttered the name of their unborn daughter.

Sorry if this was too short. I rushed myself because I was getting a new phone and I didn't want to lose my progress.

Next chapter should be the moment you've been waiting for. It depends on what you want, you know?

Until next time. ✌