Ch. 13: Arguments

Ch. 13

I looked at the clock or probably the millionth time in the last half hour. Today just seemed like such a slow day in the office. I only had a few patients, and they were more or less in the morning hours. After lunch, I just worked on paperwork mostly. Gross. So boring, but a part of the job description.

“Kels, if you just want to clock out and go home, you can.” My manager came and told me.

“Thanks Liz; are you sure?” I just wanted to make sure before I clocked out.

She rolled her eyes, playfully, “Of course I’m sure. You haven’t had anyone for a few hours and we don’t need any extra help. Go home and see Cameron.” Liz said and then turned to walk away. She stopped and turned back, “How is he doing now that he has those awful casts off?”

Cameron was able to get his casts off the other day and he couldn’t have been any happier after that. “He’s loving it. Of course he has to rebuild the muscle and strength that he had in them again, but he loves not having to wear those things anymore; and being able to go play with his friends again.”

“That’s great to hear!” She looked like she was contemplating asking me something. “Okay, so I’m curious.” I nodded, telling her to continue, even though I knew where this was going. “Have you heard from Zach at all?”

“Nope.” I said, popping the P. It’s been a few months since that night I told him and he never got back with me about what he wanted to do. It was so frustrating. I guess that means that he chose not to be a part of Cam’s life, which sucks.

Of course, that also left Cameron asking me where he was at and why he hadn’t come to see him for a while. He was disappointed for the first few weeks, always expecting to see him show up at our door or something, but then one he was out of his casts and back playing with his friends, it got better, and basically back to normal.

At the same time, I’m not naive enough to think that it is solely Zach’s doing. I’m sure he did the right thing and went home and talking it over with Christy, like any engaged man would do, and she probably had some doing with him not coming back over because she didn’t want to have to have the responsibility. She was very good at getting what she wanted. Diabolical bitch.

“I’m so sorry to hear that.” Liz gave me a sad smile. “Anyway, as I was saying; go ahead and go home and enjoy the rest of the day with your son.”

“Thanks Liz.” I smiled and put away the papers I was currently working on.

Thankfully today Brandon was watching Cam and I could go straight home instead of getting him from mom’s house. Not that I minded stopping there, it was just one less stop I had to stop at. When I pulled into the driveway, though, I saw a vehicle I had never seen before, plus Brandon’s truck. I didn’t like that. Call me paranoid, but I didn’t like an unknown vehicle being at my house when I don’t know who it belongs to. Especially if I’m not home.

As fast as I could, I jumped out of my car and basically sprinted to the house. “Cameron?” I called out. No answer. “Brandon!” Still no answer from either of them, so I threw everything down that I had in my hands and rushed to the back door to look outside. I threw the door open and caught the attention of my smiling, giggling son. “Hey momma!” Cameron yelled from where he was standing in the backyard.

“Cam, stay focused!” Brandon hollered at him. “I almost threw the football at you and I would have hit you in the head with it.”

“Brandon! Whose car is that…?” I started to ask, but was quickly cut off.

“Ow! What was that for?” Brandon yelled, holding the back of his head.

There was a harsh chuckle, “For being an idiot. Don’t threaten to hit Cameron with the football. He was simply stopping to say hi to his mother.”