Chapter 1

TRIGGER WARNING:

This story includes topics of depression, self-harm, and suicide. It is not recommended for young people or those triggered by such topics.
This story may not be your cup of tea, and that is okay! I just ask that you do not comment overtly mean, unnecessary things.

This story was written years ago when I was in high school, depressed and hating myself. Rae is not happy. She's not a feminist. I leave this up because there are people who like it. This does not reflect a healthy relationship. This is not an example to live by. People comment all the time that she is weak, and she is. That's just how I felt when writing this. Depression makes you feel weak, and it makes you want to wallow. Depression makes you dependent on it. This helped me cope, and I know it's helped other people feel less alone regarding their own feelings. Take this warning as you will.

Thank you.

~•~
A\N: 2022
I try to warn readers that this story is old, triggering, and not the greatest. No matter how many warnings I put, people still feel the need to leave hurtful comments. I get notifications, guys. I can see what you comment; it's not just lost to the void of internet. I'm just a young girl like a lot of you, and if anyone reads your comments, it's me. You can have any opinion you want, all I ask is that you don't comment overtly mean things. I don't make money off Wattpad. I leave my old stories up for the people who reach out to me and spread love for them.
If you're going to comment, try to remember that I'm just a girl putting her art on the internet. Even if it isn't good art, I hope you all aren't so mean to other young artists simply trying to do what they enjoy.
I'm not above deleting pointlessly mean comments.
~•~

When I was younger, I convinced myself that I would never have a Mate. Maybe it was for dumb reasons like, my face is full of pimples, or my legs are too fat, or my hair is dry and not as soft and shiny as hers. In my young mind, I believed no guy would want me because at the time I didn't possess such traits. It is a stupid thing to believe—that I am too ugly for a Mate—but the thought grasped onto me for years. The thought brought me to tears while I sat in my bathtub, only in the tub so no one could hear me. All in all, I was depressed.

Me, a sixteen-year-old werewolf at the time, was depressed because of my physical appearance. I mean, werewolves are supposed to be beautiful right? Flawless skin, vibrant hair, lushes lips, soothing voice, perfect body, a list of traits that surrounded me, yet traits I didn't have. All of the girls my age were beautiful, and I was the ugly duckling.

"Don't worry, you'll grow into your ears," my mother would tell me, pushing my dull, knotted brown hair over them.

"Don't worry, I'm sure your breasts will come, you're just a late bloomer," she'd say.

"Your feet aren't too small."

"Your face will clear up."

"Having brown eyes is lovely, people want brown eyes like yours, Rae."

I'd stare up at her and think about all the lies she's told me. Will I really grow into my ears? No. They'll always be a little too big, and they still are three years later.

My mother was a beautiful woman, and a beautiful wolf too. She looked more like one of the other girl's mothers than mine. She could have been an Alphas Mate, that's how perfect she was. Only the most beautiful girls are mated with an Alpha. Sadly—in my theory—I wouldn't get a Mate at all.

At first, the thought made me depressed, but as the years went by, it made me feel free. As the other girls prepared for gatherings—ones where packs would get together in search of their Mate—I would sit at home and argue with my mother.