Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Copyright © Gem Higa 2011

Each minute through the darkened tunnel felt like an eternity. The exit at the end of the passage came closer with every step the group took. With their escape came a mix of apprehension and anxiety of being caught, but added an air of excitement to the bunch. A breeze from the end of the tunnel circulated through the passageway, fluttering past their bodies and caused the torch in Leiv’s hand to flicker slightly. 

The spider webs that decorated the interior of the tunnel exuded an air of unpleasantness for not only her, but for the prince as well. A few times Deklan happened to run into them and would quickly thrash his arms about, flinging the cobwebs away. Hana seemed unperturbed by the dingy atmosphere of their escape route; it was an environment she had grown accustomed to. Leiv’s heart clenched at the thought of Hana rotting in the tunnels, and it pained her to think that she had almost been so close to leaving the girl behind.

The secret passage led them to the side of the castle walls, which blocked their path. With a strong push from both Leiv and Deklan, the stones moved forward and opened an escape for them. The atmosphere changed; they all could smell freedom only a step away. Morning rays of light highlighted the horizon as the sun gradually rose and radiated more of its flare. Orakrest was slowly waking from its slumber and starting a new day. 

The tunnel led them from her father’s chambers to the east side of the castle where the streets lay deserted during the early morning. Most homes on that side housed the wealthier members of the community and they tended to rise later than peasants. The poorer side of town routinely woke at the crack of dawn to prepare for the day’s work because every minute spent resting meant less money being earned.

As soon as they passed the castle’s barriers, Hana looked around in wonderment at the changed world. Taking a deep breath, she felt the morning mist lightly coat her face as the dew delicately sprinkled over her exposed arms, while Leiv couldn’t stop grinning at the girl’s re-admittance into society. It wasn’t the most ideal way to step back into the world, but it was certainly a start.

Hana’s home had been ripped out from her so abruptly at such a young and tender age. She grew up underneath the castle, with no one but criminals to keep her company, so it was only natural that she would be emotional at that moment. Deklan stood to the side and scanned the area every so often for people but continued to wait patiently for the girl to compose herself so they could be on their way to safety. Though their path was clear, it was certainly no place to casually stand about. 

When Hana finally had enough of her new surroundings, she turned to Leiv and Deklan with wide and hopeful eyes. The prince looked over to Leiv asking where they would be heading. Walking past them both, she led the group towards the Inn, located opposite their location. They slipped past several homes and business before coming to an abrupt stop near the mage’s guild.

The wics were milling to and from the castle bridge, conversing with one another. They were usually up before the crack of dawn practicing spells and doing miscellaneous things. Several of the guild’s top students stood huddled up near the entrance, speaking about their upcoming spell exams. Daily life continued even for those who harnessed magic, not one was even slightly knowledgeable of the horrors spreading through the land; or if they did, the mask they hid behind was a thick one.

It would be difficult for the group to pass the mages unnoticed, especially with Hana’s silver hair. Leiv tried her spirit magic; carefully focusing on one mage in particular that stood in the center of a group. She felt the aura flowing around his body, ready to be shaped and willed under her command. A bead of sweat lined her brow as her focus intensified. Leiv’s energy pool was gradually straining, and it grew harder to keep up the level of concentration she tried hard to maintain.