Chapter 16

Chapter 16

 Copyright © Gem Higa 2011

Blissful nothingness surrounded Leiv, soothing the hurt that engulfed her heart. She felt nothing, heard nothing and was nothing. It was a new feeling not being depended on and only thinking for herself. The responsibilities and agendas completely disappeared, finally releasing her from the obligations.

A distant ember caught her eye as it grew in height with every second that ticked by. She walked towards the flames that know stood higher than her. A figure stood in its center, unmoved by the harsh flames.

The figure finally moved, stepping out of the pyre that raged around them. An arm slid out as a leg followed, then finally a whole body emerged from the fire. His brown hair illuminated in the light, while his eyes shone with a blazing intensity.

“Kenji?” Leiv asked.

The boy said nothing and continued to stare back.

Leiv moved closer, as she looked around at the surrounding areas expecting someone or something to pop out. When nothing seemed to be amiss, her movements returned to its normal grace. Her legs felt like lead trudging through mud while the flames in the background rose to tower above them as its heat licked her arms.

Kenji extended his arm to her, allowing the opportunity to come with him. Leiv hesitated not knowing what she was supposed to do. The arm stayed extended, patiently waiting for an answer. The flames raged on even higher and brighter than before, completely covering them in its scorching heat. Sweat formed on her face as Kenji stood untouched by the lick of flames moving closer.

After a split second decision she decided to take the escape that was offered. Bringing her hand up, Leiv reached for Kenji’s palm. He smiled, coming even closer and welcoming her into his embrace.

His scent never changed, the clothes were still the ones he had passed away with. Suddenly, her mind reeled at the thought of him dying. It all came rushing back to her. The image of him lying cold on the floor replayed in her mind, causing Leiv to snatch her hand back and stare at the hollow body of what used to be the Kenji that she loved.

“Leiv,” The figure whispered, extending his hand towards her once more.

She took a few steps back, staying far away from the mysterious stranger who claimed to be the same friend. All the prior obligations resurfaced in her mind: the dead dragon rider, Hana’s imprisonment and Kenji’s death. The many lives that hung in the balance reminded her that in the end she had to do what was good for her people and selfishness would only cause tremendous harm. There were sacrifices that needed to be made and she was the one to do just that.

The future, and those around her depended on the choices she made as well as the failures and successes of her journey. It was not something that could easily be left by chance. Her mother left this world, hoping that she would become the rightful successor to the dragon throne and she forfeited her life to preserve the safety of her only child. It was Leiv’s duty to ensure that she upheld the family line.

The mysterious figure dropped his arm and stepped back into the awaiting flames that quickly circled around him, eating every inch of skin. She watched in horror as his body burned and turned to ash, the remnants floating away through the wind. The timid pyre quickly turned to chaos, the flames growing larger and stronger. It didn’t take long for it to move around Leiv, encircling her in its grasps.  She tried fleeing away from its venomous rage, but it wouldn’t let her leave.