| Chapter 3 |

With that, he hurried off, got into his truck and drove off

I turned to my grandma and cautiously asked,"Who's Hachishakusama?"

"Don't worry," she replied in a shaky voice,"Your grandpa will do something so there is no need for you to worry."

As we sat nervously on the kitchen table waiting for grandpa to come back, she explained what was happening. She told me there was a dangerous thing that was haunting the area. They called it "Hachishakusama" because of it's height. In Japanese "Hachishakusama" means "Eight Feet Tall".

It takes the appearance of an extremely tall woman and makes a sound like "Po...Po...Po..." in a deep, male voice. It appears slightly differently, depending on who sees it. Some say it looks like a haggard old woman in a kimono, some say it looks like a little girl in a white funeral shroud. One thing that never changes is it's height and the sound it makes

A long time ago, it was captured by monks and they managed to confine it in a ruined building on the outskirts of their village. They trapped it using 4 small religious statues called "jizos" that they placed in the North, South, East and West of the ruins and it wasn't suppose to be able to move from there. Somehow, it escaped.

The last time it appeared was 15 years ago. Grandma said that whoever saw it was destined to die within a few days.

It all sounded too crazy, I wasn't sure what to believe.

When grandpa came back, there was an old woman with him. She introduced herself as "K-San" and handed me a piece of parchment saying,"Here, take this and hold it." Then, she and grandpa went upstairs. I was left alone with grandma once again.

I needed to go to the toilet. Grandma followed me and wouldn't let me shut the door. I was begining to get really frightened by all this.