Life or Death

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

Despite the vast notes that he had taken, she knew inside that she wouldn't be able to ever accept having a child only to die when they turn two. She made a deal, and she would stick to it if she lost, but she still had a chance to win the bet. Even though he had accumulated substantial evidence, which demonstrated that there wasn't a way around not dying when the child turned two, her mind went back to that absent phrase in the five author versions. That had to be the key to living past the child's second birthday.

On top of that, she was reserved about marrying the man in the library with her and bearing him a child. They had been living in the same house for two weeks, but she didn't appreciate how restrictive he was. Even with the deal in place, should she mention going beyond the house, he would appear as though he would murder her if she spoke of it again. Thankfully, he never kept up with the promise of that look, or she would be long dead.

Glancing over to Tarhuinn, she jumped a little as he was gazing directly at her. She gave a small smile before she returned to peering at the piece of parchment in front of her. (F/n) could feel his gaze on her still, and it gave her the same unnerving feeling of when she would be trying to fall asleep at night. Why did he just have to stare at her?

Muttering a few curses in her head, she pushed the piece of parchment aside. She had looked at enough notes, and she couldn't push her mind from that missing phrase. Not having their life energy anymore, what could it imply? (F/n) tapped her right fingers against the surface of the desk. Was there a way to get their life energy back? "I'm guessing that the authors of those five versions are deceased."

"Yes. Why, did you wish to visit them?" he asked, a warning look appearing in his blue orbs.

"Well, it would be nice to ask them why they left the phrase out. Maybe, we ... I mean you could ask their successors and see if they know why."

"Kelremm usually don't invite other kelremm to their homes. We meet in the market area, and that's the extent."

"Then, you could find them there and ask them."

"All we know is the families' last names. It would be strange for me to ask around for specific people. Either you have met the kelremm before, or you haven't. If you haven't, you don't go searching for them. Despite my trading my crops with other kelremm, I have never met anyone with those names. Why are you so obsessed with that phrase?"

"It might mean the difference between me living and dying in the next few years."

"You think that one line can invalidate all of my work?"

"I believe that it might save the human partner from dying when their child turns two. It might imply that there's way for the human partner to get their life energy back, which makes me suspicious as to why someone would want to leave it out. That's why it's important to find their successors."

"You're saying that there's a possibility that these five wished to keep the secret of a kelremm's human partner living longer to themselves? Why would they desire to do that? They would want their own human partners to live longer."