THIRTY THREE

"You kept all the things I threw awayA leaf I picked, a birthday card I madeHolding on to memories of you and meWe didn't last a year, wellWe're just a box of souvenirs"—Gabrielle Aplin

A leaf I picked, a birthday card I made
Holding on to memories of you and me
We didn't last a year, well
We're just a box of souvenirs"
Gabrielle Aplin

     I don't think I've ever reacted so fast in my life. As soon as Luis informed me about Reid's state, the girls and I were arriving at the hospital in less than five minutes . . . we may or may not have broken a law or two to make it there.

     As soon as I see the hospital sign, I unbuckle my seat belt and place my impatient hand on the door handle. I'm the first to exit the car, practically throwing open the door and sprinting into the entrance.

     I squeal out a series of 'sorry' as I run into and around the hospital staff, desperately trying to make it to Reid. His room is on the third floor, so the most logical route would be the elevators . . . but that takes up too much precious time with all the others that have stops at different floors. So, I take the stairs.

     My heart is pounding in my chest and I'm unsure if it'll break through my rib cage. Each step I endure, the overwhelming pain seeps deeper and deeper into my veins.

     I burst into the door and continue my journey running through the hallway.

     A familiar curly headed figure steps into my tunnel vision and I rush towards him for more information to tame my nerves.

     "Luis!"

     His head snaps my my direction and he rushes over to meet me halfway. His arms envelop me in what seems like a hug and to yield me from my passage.

     "Luis, what're you doing? Let me through!" I fight against his hold but it seems to be no use as he is just as built as Reid, maybe a tad bit smaller, but nonetheless stronger than me.

     "I can't do that. I'm sorry, Mere!" I don't miss the sorrow in his voice. I don't understand, I thought him waking up was a good sign.

     "Why? Why Luis, what's happened?"

     Luis let's out a distressed sigh and loosens his hold on me. It's just enough for me to escape him and run toward Reid's room.

     "No! No, stop! Don't hurt her! Not Meredith!"

I know that voice.

     My eyes widen as I hear Reid's cry of throe. I open the door and stand in the frame as I watch Reid's restless eyes scan the room frantically. I bite my lip in vexation and entered the room.

     "Reid?"

     His head surges in the direction of my voice.

     "Meredith?" I nod and approach his bedside slowly. "No!" He yells suddenly. I jump back and furrow my eyebrows.