THIRTY NINE

"You stop the room when we walk inSpotlights on everybody staringTell all of these boys, they wasting their timeStop standing in line, cause you're all mine"—John Legend

Spotlights on everybody staring
Tell all of these boys, they wasting their time
Stop standing in line, cause you're all mine"
—John Legend

December, Four Months Later . . .

     Red flower petals fall freely around me as I venture closer to the edge. The green blades of  grass caress my thighs, earning a child-like giggle from me.

     It's so surreal, I could catch a petal in my hand; caress the silk like texture between the pads of my fingers.

     I gaze up into the crisp air and breathe in the floral scent. A glisten in the corner of my eye catches my attention. I realize what it is before I even have to look: my ring.

     My eyes flutter open just as Josiah stirs next to me. I sit up on my elbows and admire the little life Reid and I created from scratch.

     Just as my hunch was correct, Josiah is a spitting image of his father. At four months, his crisp dirty blonde hair has become tendrils of curls. Like a generation loop, he adorns electric blue eyes, just like his father, and his fathers father.

     However, I bet when he's older he'll have my freckles. They would dance on the bridge of his nose and spread to his chubby cheeks. His plump lips could be Reid's or mine, it's too early to tell.

     Nonetheless, he's absolutely gorgeous . . . and he'll be a total lady killer when he's older, just like his father.

     Remember that surprise Reid was gushing about just moments before my water broke? Well, the surprise was a home—our home. Away from the Mafia house, an hour from the Philips. However, the Mafia insisted on moving location closer, for our safety...and because the Marshmallows wouldn't part with us.

     I kiss my Josiah's head and lull him back to sleep. I've grown to learn he's one fussy baby.

     The spot on the other side of the bed is cold and empty. The only explanation for that? It's our wedding day.

     And as tradition goes, the bride and groom shouldn't see each other before the wedding. Hence, the cold bed. As much as he was reluctant, I told him how exciting it would be. I think it adds anticipation to the ceremony itself—you know, the moment he sees you coming up the aisle.

     I'm only hoping, A) I don't trip, B) I don't stutter, and C) No one gets cold feet.

     My feet, per contra, are toasty warm. As for Reid's? Who knows.

     The door to our room creeks open. Holly, Susanna and Lisa enter as quiet as possible. Holly is my maid of honor, while Susanna and Lisa are my bridesmaids.

     "Good morning bride-to-be!" Holly sings.

     I giggle and bring my index finger up to my lips, shushing them. They all look at the bundle of joy next to me and croon.