5

By the time Theora wakes up Nicholas has already left for work. Last night she barely slept only falling asleep once exhaustion took over after dawn. Nicholas' words kept repeating, then what her parents and Yiayia told her would play out in her mind. Theora spent the entire night in this turmoil without finding any solution to her dilemma. She couldn't tell either her parents or Yiayia and Carmen couldn't be trusted with a secret because Yiayia knew all too well how to make her talk. None of her friends could help her situation in any way either. Theora was stuck she was actually stuck in a loveless marriage with a man who wanted nothing to do with her. Sitting up in her bed Theora ran her fingers through her hair in frustration before getting up to go to the bathroom. She took a long shower standing under it letting the hot water cascade down her body. Once outside she wore one of the new dresses she had bought before the wedding. As she made her way downstairs she saw someone moving around in the kitchen as she neared it Theora realised it was the maid.

"Ah good morning madam" the woman greeted her with a cheerful smile. "I'm Misha"

"Theora" she said as they shook hands

"Theora madam what do you want me to make for you?" Asked Misha.

"Theora. Just call me Theora"

"You two are so made for each other" squealed Misha clasping her hands together

"Pardon"

"Oh silly me" Misha gives herself a slight smack to the forehead "Sir Nicholas even he asked me to call him by his name you two are so alike"

Theora doesn't say anything just gives Misha a slight smile.

"Are pancakes okay?" Misha asks

"They'd be perfect thank you Misha" said Theora "do you need my help?"

"No no you just sit here" Misha pulled back a chair at the table motioning Theora to sit "and I'll be right back"

Theora sat down and watched Misha as she prepared the pancakes. Misha was probably a little older than Theora maybe the same age as Carmen she deduced. Misha was a round plump woman but she had the right curves in the right places.

"Here you go" Misha placed the pancakes with a glass of orange juice and a bottle of syrup.

"Oh Misha these are too many I can't eat all them all by myself" Theora said looking down at her plate. "Have you had breakfast yet Misha?"

"Don't worry about me I'll have it later"

"Please join me I hate eating alone anyway and we can talk as well"

Misha needed some more goading but eventually she sat with Theora to have breakfast. As they talked, Misha talked about herself. She was married to Nicholas' personal driver Roberto for the past four years. They had been trying for a child for sometime now but it hasn't happened yet.

"If the doctors say everything is fine then it'll happen eventually don't worry about it" Theora reassured her as she took a sip from her orange juice.

"Yes but it's hard when every month we find we are not pregnant. It has put a lot of stress on our marriage" Misha said

"Well my Yiayia says if something doesn't happen immediately that means you're going to receive something better in the future so don't lose hope so soon" Theora said. Misha's expression changed to a solemn one at the mention of Theora's Yiayia but Theora didn't notice busy taking her last bite.

"Theora you don't mind me asking you something?"

"Uh hum" Theora nodded as she chewed her last bite

"Sir Nicholas he asked me to take his things to the next room"

"Well if he said that then you should do as he says" Theora said after a long silence.

"It's none of my business and not even my place to speak but is everything alright between you two?" Misha asked

"There has to be something there for it to go wrong Misha. There is nothing between your Nicholas Sir and I" Theora looked down at her empty plate

"You don't know each other that well with time you'll come to accept each other" Misha reassured to which Theora shrugged not looking up from the empty plate.

"Your Yiayia called today" Misha said this made Theora's head go up in shock.

"What did she say?"

"She asked me to call her daily and tell her how you and Sir Nicholas are doing as husband and wife. She even offered me money" Misha admitted

"What did you tell her?" Theora asked panic rising up inside of her.

"I told her I'd gladly tell her how her granddaughter is doing free of charge but she persisted and told me she's sending the money and will call me later on how the first day together went" Misha said.

Theora held her head in her hands not knowing what to do if her parents find out then there would most definitely be a huge meeting between both families. Something she didn't want to go through.

"I'm telling you this because I believe no one has the right to come and say anything between husband and wife. I was going to tell your Yiayia that I'm not doing it anyway but I thought you should know"

Theora thought about what Misha said for a second. If Misha says no then her Yiayia will find someone else to spy on them and that will lead to the family meeting.

"Tell her you'll do it" Theora blurted out

"What?!"

"Tell her you're willing to give her updates on us then just tell her everything is normal. That way she won't hire someone else and eventually find out" I explained

"But I can't take the money it seems wrong" Misha said

"Give it to charity, to an orphanage anything just please do this for me" Theora pleaded reached out to grab Misha's hand.

"Alright I'll do it" Misha said

"Thank you Misha for telling me and helping me out" Theora took a sigh of relief. Only a day in and she was avoiding major crisises in this marriage.