Ch.IV Zombie New Year

It's finally a new year. No one is celebrating it. Todd was right. Zombies are coming for them.

New York had fallen before New year Eve. Chicago, San Francisco, Washington DC and many other big cities have fallen into zombie hordes.

The military is down. And one couldn't rely on the government to help them. The last TV broadcast was on new year Eve. When the army tried to purge the zombie hordes in New York and other major cities. They were obliterated completely.

"This is our first meeting," declares Mayor Thomas

Tuscane had 1.567 persons in paper. But in reality, only 1/4 of them are still available right now.

Total 365 persons (old and young) died after Christmas and before New year eve. A lot of folks have skipped town when people were dying of sudden death.

Too many deaths and not much time to built proper graves. So the corpses are buried in one giant hole. In an old cemetery out of town.

The people who left town probably have become zombie's foods by now. Because they never returned.

Thomas says, "We got a zombie expert here with us. Todd, please continue from here."

Todd rises. And he projects a zombie film to the wall.

It's his favorite movie, "How to kill a zombie?"

Todd says, "The script writer kept swearing he wrote the script based on reality. Of course no one believed him at all. He swore he encountered the zombies in a secluded place in Tibet few years back. And he explicitly describe how to kill a zombie in this film."

He explains while the film is running. "First, always aim for the head. Damage the brain. You could burn the body. Chopped it's legs. It would still coming for you. A zombie is always hungry for flesh and blood."

No one laughs at him now. They had seen the real zombies on TV. How they killed the soldiers and ripped their flesh apart. Eating them alive.

Todd continues his explanations.

He says, "Zombies more active at night. So don't venture out after dark. Sunlight blinded them so they choose cooler places. Their eyesight isn't as good as us. They rely more on hearing. So don't make loud noises to attract them."

Mayor Thomas asks, "That's it? No tips how we should handle them?"

"United and killed them. We need to prepare weapons. Anything you could find. Built a stronghold. And keep children in the center of the base. They are noisy. They could attract zombies."

Some townfolks are praying right now.

Thomas says, "You heard him. Collect foods, drinks and weapons. We will built a fort in Sam'diner."

Farmer John complaints, "Why the diner?"

Todd agrees with the mayor. He says, "It's in the middle of the city. Made from solid bricks. We could make good defenses there. We could use cars as first wall barriers. Till we make better, stronger fences."

The meeting is over. Everyone goes home to prepare everything needed.

J.D. taps Todd's shoulder. He says, "All those zombie movies you love so much. Finally paid off. I'm proud of you, Bro."

"Thanks. I wanna make something. Like a radar for zombie. Could you collect old radios from others? It doesn't need to be intact. I just need the parts."

"Sure."

Todd should have gone to M.I.T. He is a very smart man.

But J.D blew it up. He made two mistakes in his life.

First one is to marry a greedy witch named Marissa Wellingern.

Second one is to use Todd's education fund to invest in Bitcoin. J.D lost all his life savings and Todd's money just overnight.

J.D thought he could have saved his marriage if he had more money. That Marissa would finally be content with him. Alas! In the end, his wife left him for another man. One ex-neighbor who was much richer than him.

J.D asks, "Any news from Erin?"

"None. Not since the day before Christmas," replies Todd.

Both of them feared Erin was a goner. San Francisco had fallen to zombie hordes. Hate to think Erin as one of them. Feasting on human flesh.

Todd says, "Erin would survive. She's a tough nut to crack. And she has seen zombie movies as much as I did."

It seems he is trying to convince himself.

His brother only says, "Yes. She will live."

J.D rises from the bench. He says, "I will collect the radios right now."

"Do you bring any weapon with you? Don't be defenseless. Anything sharp will do."

"I'm a handyman. I always got my toolbox nearby. Wanna see?"

J.D grabs his toolbox and opens it. The lid is a bit rusty, hard to open it.

Todd scolds, "Every second counts,bro. Oil the hinges."

"Sure."

Todd examines the tools. Hammer. Iron wrench. Monkey wrench. Nails. Drill, which works on battery. Some serious weapons here.

J.D asks, "You got a weapon, Todd? Grab one of these if you didn't have any."

"Got mine," says Todd.

He grabs a simple wooden spear from a bench nearby.

Todd says, "I made it myself. Could you make more of these for the others?"

"Sure. I'm the town handyman. Remember?"

"You could have become a great engineer if our parents hadn't died in a car accident."

"Nay. I like it here."

J.D lied and they both know it. There was time when he really dreamed to be an engineer. Till he had to work to feed his little brother.

"I'm off," says J.D.

"Beware out there. And remember, aim for the head. Other parts won't kill them. One bite and you're one of them," warns Todd.

"I know. I'll be careful."

---------------------------------------------
No more help from outside.
The military is down. The townsmen are on their own.

Please vote and comment :)