The Assignment - Part 1

A month later, Max rode the elevator to the 53rd floor in his tailored uniform, feeling stiff and awkward, but also proud. Today he would present the findings of his first research project directly to Helix, and this time, he actually looked the part of a NeuraLife researcher. For the past few weeks, he had been working with the other research assistants, getting basic training on NeuraLife's networks and systems, and mining the company's archives.

On the whole, the research assistants had been tolerant and polite. Only one had been openly hostile, dismissing Max as a "diversity hire" and critiquing his work. Luckily, Colin had ordered the worker to assist another department. It was the first time Colin had shown Max any kind of support, and he was grateful. Then again, Colin's aim may have simply been to make sure Max focused on the project he'd assigned him—which was an ambitious one: to research the fatal flaws in the neural-lace connection between humans and synthetics. If the two populations were ever to work closely again, the initial failings behind the neural-lace connection would need to be understood. It was a tall order for Max, and he wanted to do his best.

However, it soon became clear that information on Max's model would be hard to come by, since network connections after the Separation were rare. With his deadline approaching, Max decided the best solution would be to volunteer his own neural-lace for examination. Luckily, his request was approved by Helix, enabling him to complete his report by working late into the evenings. It wasn't much of a sacrifice; the office was safer and more inspiring than his public housing. And the less he rode the lift down to his old life, the better he felt about his future. Thus, by the time Max entered Helix's office again, he had convinced himself that their first meeting had been some sort of bizarre fluke. He was certain that Helix would now appreciate his findings and his work.

He was wrong.

"There's my favorite little Spare," Helix greeted Max, once again embracing and kissing him. "This is the one I told you about. Isn't he beautiful, Bliss?"

She presented Max like a gift to her chief scientist: Bliss. Max had seen Bliss around the office many times, but had misinterpreted her position. As a short, stubby, overly chatty brunette—Max had mistaken her for the company intern, rather than its chief scientist, and her presence here confused him. Did Helix want Max to present his findings to her on his very first project? The prospect would have been unimaginable only a few weeks ago. Max couldn't believe his luck. But then... Bliss spoke.

"'Little,' is the wrong word. He's a grown-ass man," she observed. "And in such good shape, too. How old is your model, Maximillian?"

"Uh, thirty-five, ma'am... and it's Max."

"Wow," said Bliss, ignoring his correction and reaching up to touch his face. "It's a miracle he's still functional—and in such excellent condition. Some older features, sure, but you can barely tell; he's so handsome and tall. I forgot they made 'em like this. I'll bet he has a ton of pre-Separation memories and conditioning, unlike the newer models," she continued, as if he wasn't there.

"I told you," said Helix. "He's got a lot more assets than Colin. You'll see."

Max decided the last comment was an invitation for him to present his findings. He handed Helix a computer tablet of his work.

"Here's the results of my assignment. As you already know, a complex combination of factors led to the failure of the neural-lace connection, but I think I managed to isolate a few lesser ones, previously considered non-consequential—"

"Great, thank you," interrupted Helix, taking the tablet. Without looking at it, she placed it on a pile of tablets and gestured to the couch.