Chapter Fourteen

Elizabeth found that Jane was somewhat better in the morning. She was well enough to answer Elizabeth's questions about the attack. "Oh Jane, I am so thankful you are going to be well. We were all so worried.

"I am very sorry to have caused such concern. Perhaps I should have taken the carriage after all." Elizabeth smiled at her sister's attempt at humor. It was out of character for Jane, which her sister took as an indication that she was not yet herself. "Please offer Miss Bingley my appreciation for her hospitality."

"I rather think that your gratitude might be better offered to your Mr. Bingley."

"Please, Lizzy. He's not my Mr. Bingley."

"With his constant inquiries after your health and his attention to all things that might offer you comfort, I think he might well be. While he offers me every appropriate civility, it is you who seems to be continually on his mind."

"Oh, Lizzy."

"Are you feeling up to answering a few questions?"

"I can try."

"Do you remember anything about what happened to you?" Elizabeth took her sister's hand.

"Very little."

"Did you see who attacked you?"

"I saw nothing. I was riding from home and something hit me from the woods. It all occurred so fast."

After assuring her sister that her recovery was more important that her recollection. The two spent three quarters of an hour discussing the events of the prior few days. Then Jane pleaded fatigue and Elizabeth gently guided her back to sleep. After using her gift to regulate Jane's recovery, Elizabeth decided that she would rather take a stroll around the Park than join the superior sisters at the breakfast table.

On her stroll, she encountered a large hound who proved to be exceptionally friendly. She did feel somewhat chagrined when Mr. Darcy, upon landing from his patrol, caught her once again behaving in a completely improper manner. She found him staring at her with a disagreeable, disdainful smirk.

"Mr. Darcy," she offered a curtsy.

"Miss Elizabeth," he bowed. "May I ask after your sister's health?"

"She was well enough this morning that I was able to ask after her recollections of the attack. Unfortunately, she saw nothing that may help our investigation."

"I am glad to hear she is recovering."

"Have you been patrolling? Did you find anything?"

"I was, and I did not."

"I am uncertain whether you are disappointed or not."

"I am uncertain myself." He stood staring at Elizabeth until she began to stir in anxiety. "Have you breakfasted yet?"

"I have not."

"May I accompany you to the table?" He offered his arm and she took it, though she was not fully pleased to be in his company. It brought back to her how her feelings about the tall man were ... unsettled.

His original insult and subsequent haughty behavior had fixed her opinion of him as a most disagreeable man. What she found difficult to accept was that his actions during the investigation; his diligence, perseverance, and bravery, intimated that there was more to him than his initial unfortunate impression. Elizabeth was not pleased with the likelihood she would be forced to revise her opinion of him. But shared danger tended to foster good will even among the most reluctant comrades.