Chapter Forty-Two

Elizabeth watched as her fiancé flew away into the western sky. She wrapped her arms around herself tightly, feeling a sudden chill that was more premonition than reaction to the cool morning air. Fate had worked so hard to keep them apart, using Lieutenant Wickham as its tool. The scoundrel had managed to influence them with his half-truths and honeyed words even though they were both warned against his lies. She cursed him silently.

"Lizzy," Charlotte prompted. "Shall we return to the house? I would like to hear more of this story. I would know how this Wickham caused such mischief."

"Is this something Father should know, as Mr. Wickham is still in Meryton?" Miss Lucas inquired breathlessly. Elizabeth thought the knight's daughter had never expected such adventures when the young lady had set off to visit her elder sister. "Mayhap he could spread the word to protect others from this ... scoundrel?"

Thinking of her own younger sisters and the other young ladies of the country, Elizabeth agreed that was a worthwhile effort. "I'll prepare a letter for both your father and mine."

"I believe I should make my way to Rosings Park to inform Lady Catherine of these events. She may be upset." Mr. Collins spoke to his wife, looking for her endorsement of his intentions.

"A capitol idea," Colonel Fitzwilliam beamed. "I shall accompany you to see her reaction. Will you stay or go, Georgiana?"

"You are welcome to stay with us, if you wish to hear more of these events surrounding your brother," Elizabeth assured the younger lady.

"I would relish the opportunity to get to know you as well." Georgiana answered with a blush and a nod.

While writing her warnings to her father and Sir William, Elizabeth shared her tale of the subtle insinuations and prevarications of the Lieutenant with the other ladies. Her telling had not progressed too far when it was announced that Lady Catherine had arrived, along with Miss de Bourgh and Mrs. Jenkinson.

"Miss Bennet, will you take a walk with me?" asked Lady Catherine after she had endured the polite greetings of Charlotte and Georgiana. Elizabeth was concerned about her potential disapproval but knew there was no use in putting the necessary conversation off.

"Please, the garden is lovely this time of day." She offered the older woman her arm as they left the parsonage. Elizabeth waited on Lady Catherine to begin. As they walked in silence the older woman would occasionally glance, or glare, and Elizabeth, her mouth working, or her lips pursed.

Eventually, a calm settled over Lady Catherine's countenance and she asked, "Do you love him?"

"More than anything or anyone." Elizabeth replied honestly. The venerable lady made no response. They continued to walk for several moments.

With a nod, Lady Catherine seemed to come to some conclusion. But her next question made Elizabeth wonder at the nature of that conclusion. "I have heard that you are a skilled somatic manipulator."

"I have some talent in that direction."

"My daughter, as you well know, has long suffered from her gift. If nothing is done, no relief is found in the none-to-distant future, she will likely perish from these difficulties. Can you help her?"

"I do not know but I will try what I can."

"Thank you." Lady Catherine patted her arm as they continued their stroll, the mother sharing what she could of her daughter's condition. Anne had been born with fangs similar to a viper's. Some physicians had hypothesized that her body was not fully proof against her own venom and that she was slowly, but inexorably, poisoning herself.