Chapter 2

Chapter  One

Birth

Winter    69 B.C.E

The   Egyptian  sands    and  wind  were  not  as  blazing  hot  as  before   , in  the  winter    ,  the        air  cooled  down  and  became  breezy.     The Ptolemies  were   always   glad  for  the  winter   because  since  they  were   Greeks  they were   never  use  to  the Egyptain  heat  even  though  it   was   some   300   years , they  had  been  in Egypt..   Cleopatra V of  Egypt  had  been  sent  away  by   Ptolemy XII Auletes  and  he  had   married  an  Egyptian   priestess  of  Isis  Sakhmet.  He   was   the  first of  the    Greek  pharaohs  to  this.        Sakhmet      who  was     as  dark  as   night  and  had  long  silk  black  hair  gave   birth  to  her  daughter  called  Cleopatra VII,   Cleopatra  VII  when  she  was  born  had   light  brown ginger  skin,   and  silkly   black  hair.  She   was   more  Egyptian  than  she  was   Greek  but   her  Greek  father's  looks  had  appear  in   her  eyes,  her eyes were   blue  and  she  had  her  nose  and   mouth  were  very  Greek.     From   the day  of  her  birth,    everyone  knew  that  Cleopatra   was  not  a  great     beauty.  She    would   never  possess  the  great  beauty  of  the  Greek goddess Aphrodite  nor  of  the Egyptian   goddess  Hathor.  

Cleopatra  was  Ptolemy's  second  daughter  and    was  second  in    line     for  the  throne  after   her  sister  Berenice.

Although Cleopatra  was  born  on  a  calm, cool  winter  night,  her  birth      did  not  say   what   chaos   her  life     will  bring.   Ptolemy  had  no  idea  that  his    younger  daughter   would  be   the    last  Pharoah,   nor  did  he  know  the  grief  she  would  bring  to  him  and  Egypt  but  he  would  not  live  to  see   it  nor  would  he  live  to see  his  ulgist  daughter  keep     the   Romans  at   bay.

While  many    people  perceived  Cleopatra VII was European and some   perceived  her   as   African   , Cleopatra  was     of  both  these   worlds.  She  was  Greek  and Egyptian and  spoke  both.  She   had  both  sides good  qualities  and  she  would    use     those   skills  for  twenty   years