5. Burnface

Garrett

Julian's reaction to the news isn't what I expected. At first, there seems to be no reaction at all. He remains sitting on his bed, looking distractedly around the cell. I do notice, though, that what little color his skin had drains away, giving his face an appearance of a wax mask.

"Burnface?" he says.

"Is that what you call him?" Quite a fitting name from what I heard of their general's appearance. "Anyway, I thought you'd be more excited about going home."

"That's not home."

"Well, in his message he stated clearly that he believes the information of your treason was exaggerated. He claimed an investigation would take place before deciding your fault, and your father could reconsider his decision. Looks like the best deal you could hope to get."

"My father never reconsiders. And Burnface is just... He will... Never mind." It looks like he struggles to maintain the appearance of composure, with only his bloodless lips and shallow breathing betraying some inner turmoil. It suddenly strikes me that he looks scared.

That's strange. When general Connelly of the royal forces had sent us his offer, it seemed clear that he had some interest, either personal or political, in rescuing lord Maynard's youngest son. Julian's reaction makes it clear that whatever interest is involved, it probably doesn't align with what he wants for himself.

When he speaks again, though, his voice is as nonchalant as if we're discussing a movie or a book. "May I ask if there's anything I can do to convince you to not go ahead with this deal?"

"I didn't realize you enjoyed staying with us so much. You kept complaining about the bad treatment."

"There can be different levels of bad treatment," he says. "Is there a scenario in which you're not shipping me to him?"

"Not really, no. General Rykar has already given his consent. The amount of supplies we are receiving in exchange makes you a pretty valuable currency."

"I see. And when the exchange is to take place?"

"In a few hours." I notice him jerk in surprise before collecting himself. "The details are being worked out, but we'll be taking you to the hangar right now. Kano is waiting outside to help me escort you."

"That's fast," he says. "Don't you think it could be a trap, them agreeing to meet with you so soon after you've kicked their ass at Carron?"

"Trust me, we can arrange an exchange with minimal risk."

"I trust you." He gives me an evaluating stare. "Look...Garrett. You seem to be a decent person. You have influence on your general. I saw how he spoke to you. Could you, somehow... convince him? If you keep me now, you could get a better deal later, only not with Burnface." He slides to the edge of the bed, leans forward and puts his hand on mine. His fingers are cool and weightless, and his eyes are suddenly close, unblinking, mesmerizing. "See, I really, really don't want to go there." His voice is soft and insinuating. His fingers strike the back of my hand lightly. "I can be real thankful to those who help me, you know."

It takes me a second to get over the surprise. When I do, I jump to my feet.

"What do you think you're doing?"

He laughs quietly and moves away. "Just being friendly."

"Are you hitting on me or something?" I still can't believe it. "Did you really think it could work?"

"Trying couldn't hurt." He shrugs, his cool voice and detached manners returning.

"It surely made me think less of you," I spit.

"Well, can't return the compliment," he says, "since there's no way I could think less of you than I already do."

We glare at each other for a few seconds.

"Kano!" I call, and the key turns in the door.

As we walk the underground corridors, I can't shake off an uneasy feeling. Kano keeps a few steps behind me, dragging Julian by the shoulder. We're followed for a while by a couple of mechanics who shout jokes and offences at our prisoner. A bunch of children returning from school stop to stare as we pass by, and some of them follow us until Kano shoos them away.

As we move farther from the central corridors and towards the hangar, we meet less and less people, and the lamps gets scarcer, providing only barely enough light to get around.

"Move, you shit," says Kano. I hear some protest of Julian, and then a soft sound of a blow, but I do not turn around to look. Some mean part of me is satisfied with Kano handling him roughly, as if he deserves to be punished for thinking even for a second that he could...that I would... Anyway, he's soon to be off our hands and in Burnface's care.

That's probably the reason behind the unpleasant feeling I can't get rid of. Knowing we're handing him over to be, likely, killed, doesn't sit well with me, even though he's an enemy. I can hate and fight and kill them in a battle, when they are nothing but faceless soldiers and steel aircrafts. It's harder to feel nothing when a person in question has talked to you, joked, complained of his living arrangements, and even made a ridiculous attempt at seduction. His cheekiness and arrogance, as annoying as they are, have made me see him as a living human being—a one that, once handled over to Burnface, is likely to not live long.

Not my problem, damn it.

Another sound of a blow, followed by coughing, draws my attention. Got to tell Kano to stop hurting Julian—no, not Julian. The prisoner. Thant's how I should think of him, as if he had no name. He's just a human currency, and we promised to return him in good shape.

I stop and turn around, and for a second, I can't quite process what I'm seeing. In the poorly lit corridor, beside me, there's only one man standing. It's Kano. He's swaying a little, his hands pressed to his throat. As I start running, I notice his eyes bulging in pain, and blood trickling between his fingers. I reach him in time to catch him as he begins to slide to the floor. I lay him down carefully and check his wound.

Something's sticking out of his throat.

It's the pen. The pen I have left on the table in Julian's cell.

I look around. The corridor is empty. Julian is gone.

"Hold on, buddy," I say to Kano. "I'll get you help. You'll make it. Just hold on."

He only coughs, spraying me with blood.

I will destroy Julian for this.

* If you enjoy the story, please vote or comment! Thank you! *