Chapter 25

"Alright," Jace sighed, "Thanks, man."

Just as he hung up, Ariana walked in looking like nothing had happened. He was certain that he wouldn't have found out about her getting shot if Jack hadn't called to ask if he got safely to the company. He'd gotten curious as to why and had asked.

"Sorry, I'm late."

Jace placed his phone on his desk.
"Everything alright?"

"Hmm-hmm. Yea." She looked into his eyes.

That hurt Jace. That she could lie right to his face.

He got up made his around his desk. He stopped in front of his desk and sat down at the edge.
"How can you look me in the eyes and lie to my face?"

Ariana looked away from him and clenched her jaw knowing who he'd found out from.
"The director shouldn't have told you anything."

"I asked him and besides it's not something classified that you have to hide from me," He was hurt, "I don't know when you're going to start trusting me enough to tell me anything that happens to you."

Ariana looked at me then,
"I'm not here to gain or give my trust. I'm here because I have a job to do and I can't be dopey at it by giving inane information that doesn't concern you."

Jace clenched his jaw so hard he thought he'd break his teeth.
"Inane? You think anything that happens to you is unimportant?" He pushed away from his desk and approached her slowly, "As for trust; how would any of this work if we don't trust each other?"

Ariana stayed quiet as he got closer to her. Jace stopped an arm's length away from her.
"Take your jacket off," It came out as a whisper without him intending for it to.

"What?" Ariana blinked a couple of times at the suggestion of what he said,

"I want to see it."

"See what?"
She was able to breathe again when she realized what he was talking about.

"The bullet wound."

"It's not a wound; barely a scratch."

Jace stayed quiet, his eyes on her unwavering and insisting. Ariana sighed when she knew he wasn't going to back off until he saw it. She reached for the lapels of her jacket, keeping her eyes on him as she took it off. Jace caught the flash of pain on her face which was barely a nanosecond. She pulled off her jacket all the way and held it in her left hand. Jace's gaze shifted from her face to her right arm.

"'Barely a scratch' you say. Why is there a bandage then?"

Ariana was quiet for a moment,
"Extra precaution."

Jace almost smiled at her attempt to make light of the situation,
"You might be a good liar when it comes to federal secrets and information but you're not such a good liar when it comes to the real world."

Jace held her arm and rubbed his thumb beneath the bandage.
"Does it hurt?" He looked at her face,

Ariana looked up at him,
"Barely."

"We're back to 'barely'?"

She smiled
"A little."

"First bullet wound?"

"Third."

Jace raised a brow in question.

"The back of my left shoulder."

Jace smiled because she understood what his look meant and he walked around her. Her tank top didn't cover the scar so it was easy to spot. He ran his fingers on it.
"First?"