Chapter Twenty: Staring Down

•Here we are, so where do we go from here?
Should've known what I said
Would've brought us to the end of a dead end street
I know those eyes, I've seen those tears
You probably thinking that I'm leaving
And I'm looking for a reason just to find me somewhere
Staring down the barrel of a shot glass
Wondering how I'm ever gonna get you back
But I ain't falling in the same trap like I always do
I ain't leaving here tearing down the highway
How I did you wrong running on replay
No, I ain't drowning in the same past
Staring down the barrel of a shot glass•

~Two weeks prior: The night of the NFC championship game~

Luke sat on the couch waiting for Lydia. He was waiting to tell her how he felt. No more games for him. They were grown adults.e had grown adult, romantic feelings for her, so damnit they were going to discuss it like grown ass adults. At least, they would if she ever got home. It was well past midnight now. Where was she? There was no reason for her to be out this late.

Then it hit him Of course, there was a reason for her to be out this late, but it wasn't because she was out. No, she was in, in Ben's arms, in his bed, in his life. Luke felt a little bit of his heart break. They were adults in an adult relationship. Why wouldn't they celebrate in every sense of the word?

Luke wanted for all of this not to bother him so much, but it did. He had feelings for Lydia so it should. It was ok to feel heartbroken. It was natural, but at the same time it felt totally wrong. What was he thinking anyways? She was dating someone else. Who was he to think she'd drop Ben if he simply admitted his feelings. He missed his chance, and he'd had several of them.

Part of him felt like she should know. Those nights spent in each other's beds had to mean something to her too, right? Why was she with Ben? Weren't women the ones who were supposed to get attached in the type of relationship they had over those spontaneous, magical nights. Apparently, she was just fine, having no trouble moving on. The memory of their encounter in the hallway the night Lydia and Ben's first date told him differently. The look in her eyes as her self-control barely won out was enough to keep his hope alive for the two of them. He had hoped tonight would be the beginning of a them, but as he still sat in wait, his hope dwindled. In fact, Luke was now doubting there would ever be a them.

After falling asleep around two-thirty that morning, Luke woke up on the couch as the front door closed. He stretched, rubbing his eyes. He felt confused as to why he was on the couch. Everything flooded back when he looked up to see Lydia coming in. How late... early, was it? The sun was just coming up. Why was she sneaking in this early? The man shook his head. He knew good and well why she was sneaking in at sunrise in her clothes from yesterday with her hair messy, and he didn't like it one bit.

"Late night?" Luke spoke with slight malice, scaring the nanny.

Lydia turned to look at him. Her cheeks were bright red with a blush, but there was an anger in her eyes like he'd never experienced. "Mind your own damn business."

Luke was a little startled at her tone and mad. For what? Having relationship?Yeah, he found his reasoning pretty stupid too. "You're my daughter's nanny. It is my business. I want to make sure you're not being a bad role model."

Lydia was about to tear the man in front of her to shreds. He had no right to act like this towards her. Luke was being a baby because he didn't like her dating another person. Never once had they talk about there being a them. He hadn't expressed interest in really being in a real relationship with her.

"Isla has no idea I didn't come home last night!" Lydia exploded at her boss. "and even if she did, she wouldn't know why! Not to mention, you didn't seem to mind when she was right down the hall and I was in your bed! So stop acting like my father! I am in a relationship and you need to get over yourself!"